Invasion Of The Marijuana Growers

/ Invasion Of The Marijuana Growers #21  
I hate anything to do with this weed. To use valuable land to grow the junk which should be considered and invasive species is so wasteful.

I have smoked. and consumed its garbage-like eating junkfood.

/ Invasion Of The Marijuana Growers #22  
A friend of mine farms soybeans in Missouri. A couple years ago his fields got oversprayed with Dicambra. He lost most of his crop. He could not prove who did it so he could not claim on their insurance. It's a good thing farming isn't his only source of income.

I lived in the "Emerald Triangle", a famous pot growing area, back when it was illegal but widely practiced. I knew many people who grew small amounts or worked in the industry part time. They were all fine people. But now I see a lot of commercial grows in California where the property is a mess and the house is a dirty shack. They're probably lax with their chemicals too, and lousy neighbors all around. I would not want that next to my property. But a cleanly run fully legal operation would be no worse than any other farm.

/ Invasion Of The Marijuana Growers #23  
I hate anything to do with this weed. To use valuable land to grow the junk which should be considered and invasive species is so wasteful.

I have always been against it myself and never tried it. But, Having heard some testimonies of how it has been the only source of relief of pain or other side effects for some, mostly cancer patients, I can understand the legitimate need for it medically.

Pardon my ignorance, but is MJ also where CBD comes from? I hear similar stories about it as well.

So as long as their use is regulated, and if someone using them causes an accident can be held liable, then I can accept it's need.

It needs to be treated same as alcohol I guess.

/ Invasion Of The Marijuana Growers #24  
I do use CBD products for anxiety, it does work but it could be the fragrance and not the CBD oil in it (Placebo)

If its medicinal properties work so well why cant the synthesize it like they do aspirin from willow tree?

I think with all the information I have now-its a marketing gimmik but does work for pain temporarily. It is also addictive unlike what we were told by MJ extremists.

Have you gone to Walmart lately? smokers are everywhere-cant go one isle here without smelling them.

/ Invasion Of The Marijuana Growers #25  
Most growers use propane C02 generators to boost growth. There is small irony in the sense that most people that I know who use MJ recreationally are also believers in human caused climate change.
I was all for legalization. And still am, yet in the past 20 years there has been an arms race in increasing the potency so that the weed of today bares little resemblance to the mild stuff I use to smoke as a teenager. Personally, can't stand the stuff now and won't let guests at our hosted parties use it, even if its legal. Its too powerful to let a guest drive home. In a way, I think the potency should be stepped down, and legally defined to a certain limit of THC per gram.

The OP says that in his situation a "Cartle" came to town and ran up the price of land on an adjoining farm/property and suggested that the labor was imported and housed on site. That's not how it happens in Oregon. The Growers are usually separate from the Property Owners. The Property Owners just lease the land. Growers put in all the infrastructure and take care of the local labor and the operational costs. The Growers are professional management companies, not the typical Hollywood, outlaw, villains.

We have a land class called F2. It gives a huge break, property tax wise, for lands set aside for trees and other Ag stuff. People would usually use this to grow X-mas trees. And this is where the pot farms all got started: rather quickly. So much so, that there is an excess of Pot production and some of the farms are going in the red. The land owner wins, and the grower loses, cause the lease still holds if its a long term lease.

Legalizing production, on the state level, I would have to say, civilized the industry. Before that, there were many illegal plots established in the National Forests around here. And those were foreign nationals, Cartels, that didn't follow any rules of law. They have almost entirely been eliminated by the Above Board, follow the rules, Grower companies.

/ Invasion Of The Marijuana Growers #26  
In Northeastern Oklahoma, there has been a MASSIVE influx of marijuana growing operations. They come in with rolls of cartel cash, pay double for the land and then setup up unsightly compounds for their operations. Most of them erect rows of greenhouses and bring in countless small trailers for worker living quarters. Trash on the property is a standard feature.

Since these operations are "so-called" medical marijuana producers - they have some unusual protections. One of great interest is .... neighboring properties cannot spray fertilizers/herbicides if there is a chance of drift. It doesn't matter if you have operated a farm for decades - you have just lost your rights.

We recently had one of these (insert your favorite derogatory term here) purchase 20 acres that adjoins our land. We resolved ourselves to sell our recently completed new home and move across the state line where there is more legal protection. This was a painful and gut wrenching decision - but if we waited until the operation was up and going, we felt we stood to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in property value.

Unexpectedly (I'll just call it an answer to prayer) the buyer - who already knew he was unwanted - offered to sell ... at the right price. This was 3 times the property value but far less than we expected to lose if he stayed. As painful as it was - we paid and considered ourselves blessed.

If you live in Oklahoma and have property for sale near you - especially smaller parcels ... 10 - 40 acres ... consider yourself warned.
Should have bought the 20 acres to begin with. Anything comes up for sale adjoining my land, I buy it.

/ Invasion Of The Marijuana Growers #28  

Hemp; a very useful product.

/ Invasion Of The Marijuana Growers #29  
Most growers use propane C02 generators to boost growth. There is small irony in the sense that most people that I know who use MJ recreationally are also believers in human caused climate change.
I was all for legalization. And still am, yet in the past 20 years there has been an arms race in increasing the potency so that the weed of today bares little resemblance to the mild stuff I use to smoke as a teenager. Personally, can't stand the stuff now and won't let guests at our hosted parties use it, even if its legal. Its too powerful to let a guest drive home. In a way, I think the potency should be stepped down, and legally defined to a certain limit of THC per gram.

The OP says that in his situation a "Cartle" came to town and ran up the price of land on an adjoining farm/property and suggested that the labor was imported and housed on site. That's not how it happens in Oregon. The Growers are usually separate from the Property Owners. The Property Owners just lease the land. Growers put in all the infrastructure and take care of the local labor and the operational costs. The Growers are professional management companies, not the typical Hollywood, outlaw, villains.

We have a land class called F2. It gives a huge break, property tax wise, for lands set aside for trees and other Ag stuff. People would usually use this to grow X-mas trees. And this is where the pot farms all got started: rather quickly. So much so, that there is an excess of Pot production and some of the farms are going in the red. The land owner wins, and the grower loses, cause the lease still holds if its a long term lease.

Legalizing production, on the state level, I would have to say, civilized the industry. Before that, there were many illegal plots established in the National Forests around here. And those were foreign nationals, Cartels, that didn't follow any rules of law. They have almost entirely been eliminated by the Above Board, follow the rules, Grower companies.

It’s actually a useful crop and allegedly has healing or at minimum pain reliving properties. If it actually works for pain relief I fully support doing so. It’s not like opioids are such a safe and non addictive option. Smoking it is a secondary use. As far as driving while or after using it that’s illegal and passing more laws won’t stop people from breaking them.

/ Invasion Of The Marijuana Growers #30  
According to the linked article, there are no acceptable thresholds of pesticide residue on marijuana, so any detectable amount of pesticide or fertilizer residue on the crop completely ruins it, unlike most other crops (I'm guessing organic doesn't allow any residue either, though I can imagine the USDA organic has some small allowable amount).

So, if you get a little bit of overspray on your neighbor's soybean crop, nobody's probably going to notice. If you get even a hint of it on the pot crop - which is apparently worth a lot more acre for acre - you're likely to be on the hook for a lot more damages.