Invisible fence

/ Invisible fence #1  

Stancoll

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2017 1526 Shuttle
Haven't seen any post on this, but thought I'd ask. Considering an invisible fence (DIY). Has anyone come up with something for a compact tractor to break a small trench without tearing up your whole yard? Looking for suggestions, ideas, or something maybe you've used. Going to be maybe an acre in size. Yea, I know about using edger's, but that's too much like work. LOL.

/ Invisible fence #2  
A subsoiler should do the job. Perhaps available from a tool rental shop?

3 Point Hitch Subsoiler

/ Invisible fence #3  
I know it' s expensive. But, I suggest you consider getting it professionally installed, with professional training.

Those I know who did that are happy, and their dogs are safe.

Those I know who tried doing it all themselves, have all failed.

They either couldn't get the DIY systems to work properly, or their dogs trained to use it.

These systems are also fairly frequently struck by lightning, so a warranty is a good idea.

That being said, I literally do everything myself.

/ Invisible fence #4  
edit; (I just noticed you mentioned not wanting to go the edger route.. It wasn't bad at all if you get a robust edger like I did. I think it was belt driven, stout machine. If you go with a subsoiler you might be creating more work getting the dirt back in the trench. Just my observation)

When I installed mine I rented a walk behind edger. It worked good but I seem to recall walking backwards gave a better result.

Make sure you have a brand new blade, best $6 you'll ever spend.

I didn't sweat trying to get all the dirt back in the trench, I bought several bags of sand to bring the tiny trench back up to grade.

You can also look into a wireless setup.

Using a wireless dog fence vs a wired in ground - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

/ Invisible fence
I know it' s expensive. But, I suggest you consider getting it professionally installed, with professional training.

They either couldn't get the DIY systems to work properly, or their dogs trained to use it.

These systems are also fairly frequently struck by lightning, so a warranty is a good idea.

I had an invisible fence a few years back. Bought it from PetSmart. I installed it and got the, then dog (deceased from old age), trained with no problems. One setback, lightening did get it. I went and bought a wireless setup. It works, just not as far. It's only about a 90 foot diameter if i recollect properly. The subsoiler thing may work as mentioned by the previous comment. I could use it for other things as well. Thanks, I appreciate it!:cool2:

/ Invisible fence #6  
I also had lighting hit my invisible fence. Blew the controller and the GFI outlet it was plugged into right off the wall.

My system was 2 weeks old when it got destroyed.

/ Invisible fence #7  
42622475_10212662601229034_8474242264833458176_n.jpg

Picture from FB showing how subsoiler was modified.

/ Invisible fence #8  
I had an Invisible Fence professionally installed, they only buried it about 3" below the surface. They used a lawn edger to cut a slit and then pushed it into the slit and stepped on the dirt to close it. The wire is single-strand 12-gauge and the cut was about 1/8".

So a tractor feels like way overkill for this. A gas-powered lawn edger can be rented for about $15 nearby.

/ Invisible fence #9  

What? "Those I know who tried doing it all themselves, have all failed."

I guess you don't know my wife and I. We put our own invisible fence in about 6 or 7 years ago and it's still working very well. It's at least an acre in size. Part of it is through woods all dug by hand by my wife and myself. We're still on the original base unit and have replaced one collar thanks to one dog removing it from the other and chewing it to pieces.

Kevin

/ Invisible fence #10  
I've got a wire around about 4ac; it's attached just above ground level to a perimeter fence for the most part, and barely under ground where it crosses an unfenced area. In that section, the wire goes across, jogs over about 10 feet, comes back, jogs over 10 feet more, and crosses one more time, so there's an entire zone of "do not cross" - I found a single strand wasn't sufficient to keep a running cat or dog from crossing the line as they'd be at the wire before the warning even went off. With three strands they've got time to reconsider if they really want to get across...

This system has worked for me for seven years now; I'm on my second controller as the first died from who-knows-what. They sent me a replacement which unfortunately only has a light come on when there's a loop signal; if there's no loop, the light goes out and no alarm sounds, so I need to look at the unit every once in a while to make sure it's still working (original unit sounded like a smoke detector if the loop was broken).