IRS and what do they really do with all their power Attempt number 2

/ IRS and what do they really do with all their power Attempt number 2
The IRS is understaffed.

The 12 million documents exposing illegal tax avoidance by the ultra-wealthy, called the Pandora Papers, succeeding the Panama Papers, shows that some significant portion of the very wealthy avoid taxes by illegally concealing billions in assets and income generated by these assets. The vastly wealthy understand understaffing the IRS is their best insurance against being discovered as tax cheats.

It is in the interest of ultra wealthy tax cheats that the middle class should be upset with the IRS. Understaffing the IRS achieves this.

It is basic to our progressive tax system that those with incomes in the top 10% fund our government through higher tax rates than the middle class. Unfortunately, some significant portion of the very wealthy shirk this obligation illegally, year after year. The IRS could provide better service and our federal and state budget deficits would be significantly less, if the IRS was better staffed on a multi-year basis.

(Republican for 56 years, since age 18)
Yes you said the same in the other post.
It is just interesting that in my 50 years of filing returns, this year is the first time this has happened.
As the one person stated, he had a similar issue. Bottom line it is not that rare I guess.
My big concern beyond wanting my money is that the IRS does not suddenly claim that I did not file and then I have to deal with that hornet nest.

/ IRS and what do they really do with all their power Attempt number 2 #12  
The IRS is understaffed.

The 12 million documents exposing illegal tax avoidance by the ultra-wealthy, called the Pandora Papers, succeeding the Panama Papers, shows that some significant portion of the very wealthy avoid taxes by illegally concealing billions in assets and income generated by these assets. The vastly wealthy understand understaffing the IRS is their best insurance against being discovered as tax cheats.

It is in the interest of ultra wealthy tax cheats that the middle class should be upset with the IRS. Understaffing the IRS achieves this.

It is basic to our progressive tax system that those with incomes in the top 10% fund our government through higher tax rates than the middle class. Unfortunately, some significant portion of the very wealthy shirk this obligation illegally, year after year. The IRS could provide better service and our federal and state budget deficits would be significantly less, if the IRS was better staffed on a multi-year basis.

(Republican for 56 years, since age 18)
many wealthy shirk their obligation legally. it's called the tax code.

it would be nice if they cleaned it up.....

ask the national association of accountants and cpas if they want to clean up the tax code.

of course we could just fund more government employees and then Bernie Madeoff etc just better look out.

/ IRS and what do they really do with all their power Attempt number 2 #13  
A flat tax would shrink the size of the IRS and eliminate tax cheats, but simple solutions are not in the best interest of the government bureaucracy.

/ IRS and what do they really do with all their power Attempt number 2 #14  
Income taxes allow too many people to avoid paying. Underground income never gets taxed. Sales taxes are much better...and before anyone says they are regressive, remember 2 things...The rich still pay much more because they spend more....the government could always refund sales taxes to people below the poverty line.

/ IRS and what do they really do with all their power Attempt number 2 #15  
Our tax system is 100x overkill and 100x confusing
So sad

Last edited:
   / IRS and what do they really do with all their power Attempt number 2 #16  
I don't mind paying my "fair share"... what I hate is I have no say so on how it is spent, and where it goes...

/ IRS and what do they really do with all their power Attempt number 2 #17  
I don't mind paying my "fair share"... what I hate is I have no say so on how it is spent, and where it goes...

There’s just some disagreement on how much a fair share is. The government seems to think all of it is fair. I’d complain less about paying my “fair share” if the whole system didn’t revolve around rewarding the lazy and destroying the working.

/ IRS and what do they really do with all their power Attempt number 2 #18  
There’s just some disagreement on how much a fair share is. The government seems to think all of it is fair.
True... they would bleed you out for your last dollar. Thank goodness for good accountants.

/ IRS and what do they really do with all their power Attempt number 2 #19  
I always figured that given the equal treatment under the law we should either all be paying the same amount or the same %.

Little known fact, the 16th Amendment would not likely have passed if it were not for the Prohibitionists. The government taxed alcohol and if it was illegal, no revenue. So politics make strange bedfellows. Unfortunately, we only repealed Prohibition.

/ IRS and what do they really do with all their power Attempt number 2 #20  
There’s just some disagreement on how much a fair share is. The government seems to think all of it is fair. I’d complain less about paying my “fair share” if the whole system didn’t revolve around rewarding the lazy and destroying the working.
Thats more commonly called "income redistribution"