Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR?

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #1  

GT48DXLS

Bronze Member
Tractor
Very Modifierd Husqvarna/GT48DXLS
My Wife brought something to my attention this morning that was more bad news specific to the "Hobby" most of us share. I did some searching to find out how bad it was and became "Stunned" at the far reaching potential impact that one US State (California) can have on the Nation as a whole, I'm unsure how it might impact our friends up north (Canada) at this time, if any, and those outside of North America may not have any impact from this at all.

California's New Law, AB-1346, signed into law 09OCT2021 that bans ALL residential and commercial gas powered yard equipment by 01JAN2024, That's 786 days or 2 years by my calculation starting with today. A ban on all small engines 25hp and under with these temporary exemptions for now, on-road motor vehicles, off-road motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, boats, snowmobiles, model airplanes, or cars. The exempt vehicles are mandated to have zero emission mandates by CARB, by 2035 at the latest.

Examples of what is banned,

Lawn Mowers, Lawn and Garden Tractors, Snow Blowers, Leaf Blowers, Rototillers, Portable Water Pumps, Fence Post Augers, Chain Saws, String Trimmers, Generators (by 2028), Golf Carts, and specialty Vehicles, to name a few. Zero emission is defined as electric battery powered or plug-in, not Natural Gas or Propane.

This forum is about Lawn and Garden Tractors and the unique role they play in our lives. Though California residents are losing some valuable freedoms here, for those in other States that think they are in the clear, you may need to reconsider how this law may impact you by which State you live in. This law mandates CARB (California Air Resources Board) to regulate the ban of all small engine yard equipment (25hp and under by 01JAN 2024 as the first of many new mandates to come). CARB is stricter than the US EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and is allowed to act outside of the EPA and so far, there are 15 States that have adopted CARB as there standard with 3 more pending adoption.

The current US States that have adopted CARB are as follows,

1) California
2) New York
3) Massachusetts
4) Vermont
5) Maine
6) Pennsylvania
7) Connecticut
8) Rhode Island
9) Washington
10) Oregon
11) New Jersey
12) Maryland
13) Delaware
14) Colorado
15) Virginia

The three current pending States to adopt CARB are as follows,

1) Minnesota
2) Nevada
3) New Mexico

For California, I'm sorry, it's over for now, but for those in the other States, maybe something can still be done? I don't know.

I can't find one piece of equipment that can take over the job of the Garden Tractor as an electric option for in the cold and blowing snow as an example of what's being lost, at least in the residential market. For those thinking AG such as a SCUT to get around these laws, maybe? But residential Zoning may prohibit as a Code Violation the use of AG equipment in a Residential zone, but either way, it looks like you have two years if you can get supply, and to be "Grandfathered" with a new Garden Tractor and or snow blower or? Before CARB ends the supply and choice for you.

I have left the actual law in PDF for all of you plus links.

Link to the law,

The Law, AB-1346 as of 09OCT2021, to go into effect no later than 01JAN2024,
Bill Text - AB-1346 Air pollution: small off-road engines.

Links to the developing story,

The LA Times, 09OCT2021,
California moves toward ban on gas lawn mowers and leaf blowers

The Wall Street Journal, 12OCT2021,
California moves toward ban on gas lawn mowers and leaf blowers

The Washington Post, 12OCT2021,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...12/california-newsom-law-equipment-pollution/

FOX News Channel, 18OCT2021,
California: Gas-powered lawn equipment tops long list of things banned by Newsom

Car and Driver, 19OCT2021
California Enacts Ban on Gas-Powered Lawn Mowers, Leaf Blowers

CNET, 22OCT2021,
https://www.cnet.com/home/yard-and-...-lawn-mowers-what-to-know-about-the-new-rule/

Link to the EPA and CARB explanation on Wiki,

Wikipedia, Clean Air Act, CARB, description,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_vehicle_emission_standards

Links to the participation CARB States,

Autoweek, 19MAR2019,
What are CARB states, ZEV states and 'smile' states? Autoweek explains

Maryland Department of the environment, (Current)
States Adopting California's Clean Cars Standards

Bloomberg Law, 26MAR2021,
States Adopt California Car Rules Amid National Standards Debate

CarsDirect, 22SEP2021,
https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-articles/what-are-carb-emission-states

-GT

Attachments

• AB-1346 Lawn Mower Ban.pdf
    250.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 177-states-CARB Compliant States.pdf
    126.6 KB · Views: 104
   / Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #2  
Look for the prices on older machines going up and more people getting older equipment repaired instead of buying new.

The people of CA have had years to vote for change but are happy with their government. Not easy to feel any sympathy for them. Make stupid choices, get stupid results.

I am 71. Have a new ZT that will last for as long as I want to cut grass. All my important gas tools are like new and have not had a lot of use. I started converting to battery operated for light duty jobs so the gasers will last even longer.

We have to save the children....

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #3  
Its simple, bring back the horses! Oh I forgot, they fart....... Ok, how about we all go back to the 1800s? Oh I forgot-they used coal.....Oh man I give up.

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR?
Look for the prices on older machines going up and more people getting older equipment repaired instead of buying new.

The people of CA have had years to vote for change but are happy with their government. Not easy to feel any sympathy for them. Make stupid choices, get stupid results.

I am 71. Have a new ZT that will last for as long as I want to cut grass. All my important gas tools are like new and have not had a lot of use. I started converting to battery operated for light duty jobs so the gasers will last even longer.

We have to save the children....

Its simple, bring back the horses! Oh I forgot, they fart....... Ok, how about we all go back to the 1800s? Oh I forgot-they used coal.....Oh man I give up.
Thank you both for a good laugh,

I'm thankful more and more to live in Florida.

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #5  
thats why i dont live in california anymore....moved in 1996. dont even visit there anymore. I want to see Calif authorities tell someone that they cant use their generator because calif edison issued rolling blackouts. dont see that ending well.

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #6  
And the idiots in power in NY have introduced the same legislation for this state.
Tar and feather time.

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #7  
What the bill says is that state regulators must, by mid 2022, create regulations that prohibit the sale of new gas-powered equipment that has 25hp or less off-road engines by Jan. 1, 2024, or once the California Air Resources Board says such a law is feasible, whichever date comes later. That’s really no different than them saying “you know what, whenever electric equipment is as cheap and effective as gas powered stuff, we should just go ahead and ban that gas powered stuff”. That‘s a reality that’s coming to a future near you either way.

Granted it’s California and when you combine ignorance and crazy anything is possible, but that’s a gigantic loophole that means it could happen in 2024, or 2054, or never. It’s actually pretty brilliant from a political standpoint if you think about. It was written in such a way that the governor can take all the credit if it works out, but then not be responsible at all if it never happens, or it does happen and it ruins the economy and everyones life.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #8  
California's New Law, AB-1346, signed into law 09OCT2021 that bans ALL residential and commercial gas powered yard equipment by 01JAN2024, ...
Is that statement accurate? It makes it sound like you'll have to stop using your gas powered equipment by that date. I don't think that's the case. As I understand it, the new law bans the sale of NEW gas powered yard equipment. You can keep using your currently owned gas powered lawn equipment. I didn't see a date for that to end.

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #9  
Is that statement accurate? It makes it sound like you'll have to stop using your gas powered equipment by that date. I don't think that's the case. As I understand it, the new law bans the sale of NEW gas powered yard equipment. You can keep using your currently owned gas powered lawn equipment. I didn't see a date for that to end.

When and if anything does get banned, and nothing has been decided yet, you’re free to use existing equipment as long as you want.

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #10  
The market will adapt. Wait until we get version 3.0 of electric tractors.