Is it just me?

/ Is it just me? #1  

johmarq

Tractor
1951 Ferguson Tea20 & 1968 Massey Ferguson MF135
I've just had 2 days of total nightmares.
I started working on my newly acquired 1968 MF135 yesterday
I've been soaking the steering wheel taper for about a week
and yesterday was the day to remove the wheel, or so I thought
After using several different pullers, hammers, Heat... nothing
except for a stuffed wheel, so out comes the angle grinder, 5 minutes later, presto!
Luckily I had a spare wheel ready. I must have know something.
Next I started to replace the Gauges, First the Temp gauge...what do I find the Temp sensor nut is only 1/3 there (broken)
and the sensor is glued into the head (only god knows what they used but it was hard, I mean really hard, 3 hours later drilling and drilling and tapping out the tread
the new sensor is in.
So this afternoon I started replacing the Ammeter and Fuel Gauge, I mean this cant be hard.
Installed the Ammeter only to find the Generator is stuffed ( more Money), then the Fuel gauge, put it in, wired it up and presto, nothing!
After tracing the wiring and measuring everything with a meter I think the sender is stuffed ( still not sure as it seems to test ok, I mean the resistance rises as the float rises, but I don't know what it should read, (into the service manual tonight, maybe it has some answers)

I'm totally stuffed, I've just spent 20+ hours over two days doing what should have taken me 3-4 hours.

Bloody old tractors, you gotta love em

Had my rant feeling a little better now

HooRoo from Oz, John

Last edited:
   / Is it just me? #2  
Would some of this help?

ada38ee432038a08bebb8dda4472f8d9_320x320.jpg

Bruce

/ Is it just me?
Yes Please!!!!
I'm sitting on the Verandah watching the sunset,on my 3rd beer.
Feeling better. A few more and all will be good

/ Is it just me? #4  
You are looking at it backwards. If it had gone in easy you would have had to be doing something else and instead you got to spend 20 hrs doing what you love, working on your tractor! Ed

/ Is it just me? #5  
The gremlin is here too. I have the better part of 4 days into fixing one stupid rear tire on a JD2210. The latest challenge is getting the bead to seat. Even had the wife standing by with a cell phone while I gave it the ether and match treatment tonight...no dice. It's out there now stretched apart with 2x4s, and in the morning I'll cook it into that shape with a salamander and try to seat it one-more-time. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll spend $30 at TSC for a very expensive inner tube.

/ Is it just me? #6  
The gremlin is here too. I have the better part of 4 days into fixing one stupid rear tire on a JD2210. The latest challenge is getting the bead to seat. Even had the wife standing by with a cell phone while I gave it the ether and match treatment tonight...no dice. It's out there now stretched apart with 2x4s, and in the morning I'll cook it into that shape with a salamander and try to seat it one-more-time. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll spend $30 at TSC for a very expensive inner tube.

I've had luck using a ratchet strap around the center of the tire. get some good tension on it, and it helps the bead spread. This works better with R1 ag tires than the stiffer R4''s

Good luck

/ Is it just me? #7  
'stuffed' must be an Aussie word, yes?

/ Is it just me? #8  
I've just had 2 days of total nightmares.
I started working on my newly acquired 1968 MF135 yesterday
I've been soaking the steering wheel taper for about a week
and yesterday was the day to remove the wheel, or so I thought
After using several different pullers, hammers, Heat... nothing
except for a stuffed wheel, so out comes the angle grinder, 5 minutes later, presto!
Luckily I had a spare wheel ready. I must have know something.
Next I started to replace the Gauges, First the Temp gauge...what do I find the Temp sensor nut is only 1/3 there (broken)
and the sensor is glued into the head (only god knows what they used but it was hard, I mean really hard, 3 hours later drilling and drilling and tapping out the tread
the new sensor is in.
So this afternoon I started replacing the Ammeter and Fuel Gauge, I mean this cant be hard.
Installed the Ammeter only to find the Generator is stuffed ( more Money), then the Fuel gauge, put it in, wired it up and presto, nothing!
After tracing the wiring and measuring everything with a meter I think the sender is stuffed ( still not sure as it seems to test ok, I mean the resistance rises as the float rises, but I don't know what it should read, (into the service manual tonight, maybe it has some answers)

I'm totally stuffed, I've just spent 20+ hours over two days doing what should have taken me 3-4 hours.

Bloody old tractors, you gotta love em

Had my rant feeling a little better now

HooRoo from Oz, John

Clearly you're not throwing enough tools hard or far enough and you're not using enough swear words.

/ Is it just me? #9  
I've had luck using a ratchet strap around the center of the tire. get some good tension on it, and it helps the bead spread. This works better with R1 ag tires than the stiffer R4''s

Good luck

Did so several times, even tried 2, one near each sidewall. Never had such a time with a tire.

This cloud has a silver lining though. My frustration led me to buy one of those manual tire machines from TSC, and that thing works pretty nice, so now I can focus my frustration on parts of the process that bedevil everyone from time-to-time. (Actually, my wife told me to go buy the machine, probably to get me and my sparkling personality off the property for a couple of hours).

/ Is it just me?
Clearly you're not throwing enough tools hard or far enough and you're not using enough swear words.

Oh Yes I am! Still can't find my 9/16 spanner I tossed.

And yes I guess " Stuffed" must be an Aussie word, maybe Pommie origin, means totally worn out.

My woes continue, I spent all day Yesterday working on my generator, I pulled the cover off to check the brushes and all the tiny armature segments fell out.
Well I was right this thing is stuffed. Time to do a Generator to Alternator conversion...
So on the phone to Auto shops and Auto wreckers, Of course it's Saturday 10:30 and they all close at Noon, I race into town ( 45Min Drive) None of the Auto shops have one, so I go to the First nearest auto wrecker ( Closed early ) off to the second wrecker ( and last one in town) Hey there still open...
I was after a one wire Alternator, Don't have any, settled for a 3 wire one.
Back home again, try to fit it, of course it doesn't fit, make new brackets.... finally on, Start up the Tractor to test, and of course no volts, I mean it's me what was I expecting?
On the Net and found I'd wired it up wrong, Hey, 14.4 volts It works!!!!
3 hours later and after much more swearing and scratching my head I figure out the wiring, ripped out all the redundant stuff (Voltage Regulator, Wiring etc)
All done Happy Camper! Another 10 Hours, Glad I'm not paying myself by the Hour for this work, And I certainly wouldn't employ Me and a Tractor repairer,

And good luck Argonne with your Tire, If I was closer I would come over and help, But with my luck lately you probably wouldn't want that.

HooRoo from Oz, John