Buying Advice Is it possible to go too big?

/ Is it possible to go too big? #1  

PaultheMaleNurse

Tractor
None
Hello folks. Moving to a 58 acre property soon from the 'burbs (also escaping CA, but that is a different discussion) and am looking into getting my first tractor. About 28 acres of the land is previously farmed acreage that I want to keep knocked down and tamed by semi regular mowing/bush hogging. I have a full time job that is not farming and have no intention of farming the land myself, at least in the near future. Leasing some of the land to someone else to farm is something I want to look more in to. The rest of the land is very thick vegetation and trees. Solid wall of green type situation.

Besides the previously mentioned 28 acres of maintenance taming, over the next few years I want to potentially relocate, and certainly maintain, the gravel driveway into the property which is about 1500', create a gravel "road" to the more separated farm area for lessees to access that 15ish acres which will be at least another 1500', fell some timber and clear brush to make trails to the more wooded areas, potentially light grading for a future storage structure and swing set, and support of some heavier/specialized rented machinery for constructing a private shooting range with berm backstops in the back woods. Near the house I'd like to set up a sizable garden plot for the wife and kids to tool around in and some tree planting around the new driveway for future privacy.

My question is this: Should I start with a "learner size"? I've never owned or driven a tractor but from research I've seen that a fairly sizable machine would be ideal for my needs/wants. I've also gotten my heart set on a buddy seat so in a few years when I've learned to drive the thing and my very young children are a tiny bit older they can ride with dad. I think those moments will be priceless. I have no brand loyalty and I've yet to see how dealers around me treat their customers, which I've heard is a huge consideration. I've also got my heart set on a cab because frankly I think it will make chores like the mowing enjoyable instead of potential misery.

The machines I've been interested in thus far are the kubota m4d-071 and the tym 1104 and I'm mostly considering new instead of used. I'm slowly working my way though the other colors looking for other models of weight, power, and size to fit my needs but I've gotten a bit nervous about my lack of experience and piloting something this large and expensive without ever even sitting in a drivers seat. Any thoughts? Am I getting in over my head with machines this big? The terrain around my house is about as flat as a pancake which is at least in my favor and because I have a full time gig elsewhere, my off time, which I'm hoping a machine this size will save some of, is very valuable and more time I can spend with my young kids. Thanks for your help and looking forward to getting to know you all.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #2  
You have a lot of variables going on. My thoughts on some things to consider:

I would seriously consider hiring out the mowing work in the near term. That would let you focus on getting your woods and driveway work done. It would also allow you to start smaller. In the current market, selling a gently used 35-50 HP CUT will not be difficult when or if you decide you need more.

Kids riding on tractors is another thing. I don't think I would have young children there while trying to get work done. More like just going for a 'ride'. If it were me, I'd do like Opa did and go with the lap, especially in a cab. Opa had all open stations but spent a lifetime around tractors. I'd save the buddy seat for older kids who you are trying to train or have the attention span to be aboard for more than 15 minutes. (this makes more sense assuming you start small). Imagine an inexperienced operator trying to get work done with a whining or screaming young kid in the way....in other words, think of the worst case scenario rather than the romanticized part with kids. There will be some awesome memories, but not all of them will be happy.😁

I would also seriously consider renting/borrowing to get some seat time if you have not spent time around this stuff. The tractor we will buy soon will be the first I have owned, but I grew up with them. Tractors are awesome, but they are also a dangerous piece of machinery. I hope you have a mentor or an awesome dealer from whom to learn. Enjoy! I am happy for you and interested in hearing about your journey.

(my older daughter just started work this summer as a BSN/RN...mom was, too...thanks for all you do!)

/ Is it possible to go too big? #3  
My question is this: Should I start with a "learner size"?

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling multiple light implements in order to buy heavier, wider implements for a new, heavier tractor requires a lot of time. Depreciation on implements is worse than depreciation on a tractor.

Besides the previously mentioned 28 acres of field mowing, over the next few years I want to potentially relocate, and certainly maintain, the gravel driveway into the property which is about 1500', create a gravel "road" to the more separated farm area for lessees to access that 15ish acres which will be at least another 1500', fell some timber and clear brush to make trails to the more wooded areas, potentially light grading for a future storage structure and swing set, and support of some heavier/specialized rented machinery for constructing a private shooting range with berm backstops in the back woods. Near the house I'd like to set up a sizable garden plot for the wife and kids to tool around in and some tree planting around the new driveway for future privacy.

Your trails would have to be minimum seven feet wide with the Kubota, eight feet wide with the TYM. Disproportional to your land. Most want trails 5' or 6' wide.

The TYM at 8,666 pounds bare tractor weight, is appropriate for someone who will plant 60 to 80 acres of crop land as a full time occupation. In your applications any 8,666 bare weight tractor will be clumsy.

I recommend a tractor of about 5,000 pounds bare tractor weight as ample for your tasks and not too difficult to learn tractor skills operating. This weight tractor is ample for your current applications and will be ample for farming 28 acres should you decide to take on that task in the future. A prudent new operator can safely lift a one ton load with the Loader on any 5,000 pound bare weight tractor.

A 5,000 pound bare weight tractor with appropriate implements for your tasks will have an "all inclusive" operating cost of around $30/hour. Fuel use will be about .8 gallon per hour. Consider how many five gallon containers of fuel you will need to transport.....

All of the tractors above will need a good size barn with LARGE doors for storage. LARGE DOORS.

You do not realize how busy the operator is running a tractor. Farming is a hazardous operation and many farmers are injured operating their tractors. You need your wits about you and no distraction from children. Every time someone here seeks information on installing a radio in a cab tractor, I shudder. Kids are far more of a distraction than tunes.

When considering a tractor purchase, bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

A good first post.

Last edited:
   / Is it possible to go too big? #4  

Kubota M4-071 Dimensions​

Dimensions
Wheelbase:84.1 inches
213 cm
Length:142 inches
360 cm
Width:75.6 inches
192 cm
Height (cab):101 inches
256 cm
Standard Weight:5952 lbs
2699 kg
Deluxe Weight:6008 lbs
2725 kg
Clearance (front axle):18.1 inches
45 cm
Front tread:58.5 inches
148 cm
Rear tread:56.2/68.7 inches
142/174 cm

TYM T1104 Dimensions​

Dimensions
Wheelbase:90.6 inches
230 cm
Length:165.4 inches
420 cm
Width:86 inches
218 cm
Height (cab):107 inches
271 cm
Weight:8666 lbs
3930 kg
Ground clearance:18.3 inches
46 cm

/ Is it possible to go too big? #5  
The phrase 'Biting off more than you can chew' comes to mind.

Is there timber that can be sold off? This would help clear some of the thickness without erasing the great green wall. Wooded areas you can't move around in aren't much use. Will this be in a wildfire prone area? If so, clearing may be essential.

Though many here will disagree, kids and big machines don't mix. Some will say they started out young and grew up on Pop's big tractor. Others will agree there is just too much risk.

Leasing to others can help you learn how they do it.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #6  
Sounds like you need a mid sized CTL, not a tractor. Tractors aren’t great at moving virgin dirt like you’ re describing. The CTL with a rotary mower driven by the hydraulic system will be more durable than a pto tractor mower on rough terrain, too.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #7  
About 28 acres of the land is previously farmed acreage that I want to keep knocked down and tamed by semi regular mowing/bush hogging.

It is just me, but I would make smoothing, then rolling your 28 acres a priority, so you can mow at 6 -7 mph without being bounced around in the process. Probably an intermittent three year task.

Here is a mowing calculator:

With a 12' Bush Hog you can mow around nine acres per hour @ 7mph.

Before smoothing you will probably mow @ ~ 4mph.

Last edited:
   / Is it possible to go too big? #8  
The mowing can be done by a tractor set up with guidance equipment. Just drive around the field, set the controllers and put your favourite TV show on.

You would be best to lease out the mowing acreage for hay land. The rest of your anticipated projects seem to involve a lot of dirt work. You may be wanting to consider a smaller industrial type backhoe/ loader combination.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #9  
I would go with a 35-45 hp compact tractor with a front end loader , bucket and grapple and 4x4 would be a must, I would also get a 6' bush hog rotary mower, start slow and ask lot's of questions and work your way thru it, maybe give a local farmer free or reduced rent on the farm land for a year for help and advice and work your way up to a larger tractor if that is what you want. You can do a lot of work with a 35-45 hp tractor with 4x4 and FEL, but whatever you do don't try to mow or do any work with a child on an open station tractor, as hard as it is to believe you just can't stop fast enough, I know three different kids in my area that fell off of tractors and had catastrophic or life changing results, doesn't mean you can't ride a child on a tractor just not with PTO driven implements and or harrows and plows going.Good luck, it's not rocket science or splitting atoms, you will do fine.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #10  
I will address the learning process a little. My situation is different, I live on 3 acres so I started small with tractors and will never need a large one here.

If I look back at the 12 years I don‘t think I’ve had a situation I would have killed myself but certainly could have hurt myself. For example, tractors only have brakes on the back, if you are in 4 wheel drive you get braking to the front wheels. I went for a downhill ride through the woods with a bucket full of dirt and in 2 wheel drive. The bucket full of dirt makes the tractor nose heavy hence no rear brakes. Experience is hard to beat. At somewhere around 200 hours you will start to get comfortable and develop some skills.

Then there is the maintenance side. Do you have the tools and skills to maintain your tractor? They aren’t that hard to work on. Then you have to learn how to hook up implements. They need maintenance also.

I‘m not trying to be negative, just set some realistic expectations for you. I kind of believe in diving in all at once. Get the tractor you think you will need long term with the implements you will need. Just start slow and expect a few frustrating moments. Good luck and some new exciting times for your famil.