Is lack of training killing tractor operators?

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #61  
PLEASE do not make your injury and recovery any more painful than it needs to be. Use those crutches the right way!

As a person with a "slipped femoral epiphysis" at 15 yrs old, I was forced to become familiar with crutches and their correct use. Why is it that patients almost NEVER get decent instructions?

You should not ever support your weight with your armpits. There's poor structural strength and soft, tender skin there. The top pad of the crutches should remain at least 1-2in below your armpits. Support your weight with your ARMS and much tougher hands with your elbows locked for strength. "Pinch" the top crutch pad between your upper arm and sides of your chest with just enough pressure to keep it from slipping forwards or back.

Prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

I learned that the hard way last time I was on crutches. Very good point though for anyone reading. Mine are adjusted correctly now.

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #62  
At first, I thought providing training was a good idea then as a former trainer on tracked dozers and rubber tired dozers, I have re-thought this. We all see the stickers on the new units we buy as well as the operators manual that goes into pretty good detail as far as hazards while operating machinery. Reading them and understanding them goes a long way towards safe operation.

The most common complaint that came back to me after someone got themselves in trouble with a piece of machinery was "I wasn't told about that in my training". And to top that off, they were usually the ones that didn't ask questions while being trained. I really don't think a dealership want's to take on that kind of liability in my opinion.
That's really good point.

Your company may not find it fiscally prudent to stop training because a few people either didn't understand the training, or used it as a ready excuse for being stupid, but in this country, some ding dong will sue you any chance they get.

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #63  
Yep, someone mentioned that earlier. The more a "tool" is used, the more that's expected from it.

The Safety Police will be all over me for this statement. If you've never had your tractor on 3 or maybe 2 wheels you have no idea how stable/unstable it truly is.

I discovered this when stuck in deep snow on uneven ground!

- A guy down the road that I sold my old Farmall Cub to came to pick it up with his kubota and trailer. He got talking about his kubota, telling me that his close neighbor had one also, but larger. Twice he had been called upon to get his neighbor's kubota upright again - usually after a bucket maneuver that raised a wheel and unbalanced it and tipped it over. - He was proud that he could set his neighbor upright again.

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #64  
At first, I thought providing training was a good idea then as a former trainer on tracked dozers and rubber tired dozers, I have re-thought this. We all see the stickers on the new units we buy as well as the operators manual that goes into pretty good detail as far as hazards while operating machinery. Reading them and understanding them goes a long way towards safe operation.

The most common complaint that came back to me after someone got themselves in trouble with a piece of machinery was "I wasn't told about that in my training". And to top that off, they were usually the ones that didn't ask questions while being trained. I really don't think a dealership want's to take on that kind of liability in my opinion.

I understand what you're saying and there's a couple of simple ways around that.

Using the motorcycle example; the dealership that I bought my bike from (years ago) offered a "Maintenance Night"... come to their shop and the mechanics would show you everything to do for simple MC maintenance & fluid changes. It was something like A$30 and pizza/soft drinks were included. It was information only, a familiarisation.

The other example has already been mentioned, HONDA (and other companies) have closed track facilities where you learn theory & practical skills (taking turns, emergency braking, starting on a hill, etc...) They have one course that you can take prior to going for your full license (also helps you to pass that test) and an 'advanced' riders course that anyone can take to sharpen up their skills. The Navy actually payed for me to take both of those courses, which was nice, but I would've taken them anyway.

They were not mandatory to get or keep your license. They provided knowledge only; it was up to you to practice & apply it therefore, once you were off the provider's facility the onus is on you.

As I've already said, a previous forklift/material-handling course's knowledge and practical experience was easily transferred to my tractor & FEL operation... low & slow. :)

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #65  

Liability is taken serious today by dealerships. Thursday when I picked up the 2005 Bush Hog RDTH 84 finish mower I asked about picking up a boom pole at the same time for like when I did not want to move the backhoe for a simple loading task. The owner who I have known for 20+ years came out personally and told me he had stopped carrying them at the request of his insurance company because some used them wrongly turning over tractors, etc.

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #66  
I remember someone telling me when I was just starting out, "You have to learn from the mistakes of others too, because you won't live long enough to make all the mistakes by yourself." I've never had formal training for operating a tractor, a front end loader, a dump truck, or any other piece of equipment I've operated. I learned by watching others and applying a little common sense. Nobody needed to tell me that putting the loader bucket up in the air and making sharp turns wasn't a good idea. It is just common sense. A common saying among the people I used to work with was "You have to be smarter than what you are operating."

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #67  
A common saying among the people I used to work with was "You have to be smarter than what you are operating."

Reminded me of this:

308635.png

Bruce

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #68  
tmp_4655-IMG_20171111_094314512_HDR-521874257.jpg
She was figuring it out without instruction

/ Is lack of training killing tractor operators? #69