Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer?

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #1  
Tractor
I do not have a tractor yet.
I read that used to farmers had to know how to repair their equipment or at least they had a good shot at being able to do it. Otoh, I heard that about cars too. But, cars are pretty hard to work on lots of times now because of computers. Is tractor repair like modern cars? Pretty hard to do, not like the older tractors?

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #2  
Depends on what make and model tractor you buy and how much bling it has... 😁

Regen tractors and newer models in general are getting that way little by little

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #3  
Usually tractors under 60Hp don't have too much tech stuff that requires a computer to reset.

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #4  
Modern tractors are no harder to troubleshoot but require tools that aren't affordable unless used on a regular basis. In early days only a small % knew how to troubleshoot and repair so they bartered for things they needed help with. I wish I could tell you everyone was all smiles but even back then there were a few jazzaxes that make those on TBN look like kid ponies.

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer?
Modern tractors are no harder to troubleshoot but require tools that aren't affordable unless used on a regular basis. In early days only a small % knew how to troubleshoot and repair so they bartered for things they needed help with. I wish I could tell you everyone was all smiles but even back then there were a few jazzaxes that make those on TBN look like kid ponies.
The stuff I've read made it sound like everyone knew how to fix, build, and weld anything. Experts in just about anything on a homesteading type place.

I don't have all those skills.

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #6  
I would say people were more resourceful and possessed more drive than typical of today. It's true the average person wore several hats well enough to get by but few could wear them all. You shouldn't let it bother you that you don't have all the skills,you need mentors. Folks think forums like this offers anything they can ask for but they are sadly mistaken. It pi$$e$$ people off when I tell them I can't explain in a few sentences what took me a few years to learn. Taking home butchering as example, it was generally a multi-farm event with each doing what they did best and youngsters pitching in and learning. About 25 years ago I took a couple of avid bass fishermen on a trotline fishing expedition at the farm on Red River. Both considered themselves pretty handy when it came to filleting fish but their jaws dropped when they saw my 80 year old aunt dressing fish. Blacksmiths were the cream of the crop when it came to abilities. I marvel at the things they did and even though they showed me around the shop I'm humbled each time I try duplicating things they showed me.

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #7  
I read that used to farmers had to know how to repair their equipment or at least they had a good shot at being able to do it. Otoh, I heard that about cars too. But, cars are pretty hard to work on lots of times now because of computers. Is tractor repair like modern cars? Pretty hard to do, not like the older tractors?
Very much so particularly if they are newer and bigger with more electronics and complex hydraulic systems, transmissions and of course, emissions.

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #8  
The stuff I've read made it sound like everyone knew how to fix, build, and weld anything. Experts in just about anything on a homesteading type place.
We just think we know how to fix, build, and weld anything.
Plus we have TBN and Youtube to guide us.

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #9  
It helps if you have basic mechanical skills and some tools. Changing oil and filters can get very expensive if you let the dealer do everything. Even if it's under warranty, you're at the mercy of a dealer's parts inventory and schedule. Some require you to bring the tractor in or pay to pick it up and return. Having some basic skills would allow you to do minor repairs and get the tractor back to work.

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #10  
As someone else said, it probably has a lot to do with the tractor. I have a sub compact. As someone that used to tear down and rebuild car engines in my back yard, a long time ago, in the age of carburetors, points and no computers, I find that my tractor is reminiscent of those days. I'm not afraid to do maintenance or diagnose/fix most minor things. Of course what "minor" means will depend on each person's individual skill and that would be hard to explain. However, I would still call the dealer for any serious issues I encounter. While I could likely completely tear down and rebuild my tractor if I really needed to, I no longer have the gumption, or the tools, to do that kind of work.