Is my hitch hydraulics working properly?

/ Is my hitch hydraulics working properly? #1  

jgayman

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 2720
Can anyone tell me if the hydraulics on my Ford NAA hitch are working properly? I've changed all the fluids and the hitch raises and lowers okay but it does not seem to raise my snow blade as high as my 9N did. It seems to have plenty of power. My 72" LandPride snow blade weighs at least 250 lbs and I had a 250 lb person sit on it and the tractor raises and lowers the 500 lb load effortlessly. My Draft Control Lever is straight up, in non-draft mode.

My question is the position control lever. On my 9N the blade seems to start raising once the lever is moved about 30%. On the NAA the first 75% of lever travel results in zero hitch movement. Then at about 75% the hitch starts to raise. Is this normal?

Also, on my 9N the hitch will lift the blad about 30" off the ground. On the NAA it only raises about 12" off the ground and if I wiggle the Draft Control Lever it will then raise to about 30".

Below are some photos which show the position of the control lever at rest, when first engaged, and then at maximum height.

I'm hoping someone can tell me if what I'm seeing is normal or if there is something out of adjustment or worn.

Thanks! - John

Attachments

• Hydro_1.jpg
    Hydro_1.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Hydro_2.jpg
    Hydro_2.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 241
  • Hydro_3.jpg
    Hydro_3.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 149
   / Is my hitch hydraulics working properly? #2  
It sounds like your draft control is not disengaging. My 8n will act the same way with the draft control engaged. When it is disengaged then the lift will work as you assume it should. i would look into this especially since you say that when you wiggle the draft control lever you can achieve full height on the 3 pt.

/ Is my hitch hydraulics working properly?
The Draft control lever is definitely doing something because when I engage it (horizontal position) the hitch lowers back down.

/ Is my hitch hydraulics working properly? #4  
sounds like classic cam pin wear if part of the quadrant is non responsive.. that and you need some linkage adjustments..

soundguy

/ Is my hitch hydraulics working properly?
What do you mean by Quadrant? Would that cause the hitch to not raise during the initial movement of the control lever?

Like I mentioned, the hitch raises and lowers, it just all movement takes place within the last 4 inches of travel on the control lever.

/ Is my hitch hydraulics working properly? #6  
look at that 'control lever'.. see the frame it moves in.. notice that it looks like a quarter of a circle.. kinda like a 'quadrant'... :)

at this point my advise is to buy a parts and service manual and familiarize yourself witht he parts diagrams and names.

I answered the questions you just re-asked, in my previous message. IE.. time to check the cam follower pin, cam surface profile and internal linkage adjustments..

soundguy