Is quality going downhill?

/ Is quality going downhill? #21  
Yup, they only have to last 366 days rather than the life of the machine.
Look at the plastic camshaft and sprocket for the..... Briggs I think it is? Who in their right mind would ever even consider that, the bean counters. It's easier/cheaper to injection mold plastic than cast and machine steel. As long as it lasts the warranty, alls good.
I've got nothing against profit, it's what makes the world go round but when you see companies gouging because they can it ticks me off, wood is the most current example. Now stores, around here at least, are crying they have to sell lumber for less than they paid for it. Didn't see them crying when they were gouging customers a few months back, I have no sympathy what so ever.
Simple example, year or so ago a two liter bottle of Coke was regular priced at $1.00, now regular price is almost $3.00. No one can tell me the expenses went up that much.
Rant mode off LOL. Sorry for the off topic...................Mike
All the small engine companies have been playing with plastic camshaft gears and lobes since the 70"s so it is not anything new. Everybody complained about the plastic camshaft failing in the Kawasaki engines, but keep in mind that failure was in the neighborhood of 800-1200 hours, which translates to a fair amount of them being scrapped long before the camshaft broke.

/ Is quality going downhill? #22  
Today, you's pays your money, buy your Chi Com junk and landfill it when it expires. Must be why I hang on to older fixable stuff.
This is why "right to repair" a thing for me. When I see it built in - to fail- , just to make an extra buck, it bugs me, and those brand names go off my list of consideration. And they are failing, as people have become more aware.

/ Is quality going downhill? #23  
Give me the washer with one knob with the 'click/click/click' when you turn it and a dryer that you set for 30 minutes and I'm happy.....Mike
My solar-powered clothes dryer is still going strong after almost 20 years. Doesn't work so well on rainy days though... :D
Of course they cost real money back then and often very heavily constructed as anyone moving one learns fast...
Trouble is nowadays spending more money doesn't usually get you a better-made product, only more bells and whistles. I have no use whatsoever for an internet-connected refrigerator or washer, and can't fathom why anyone else would either.

/ Is quality going downhill? #24  
All the small engine companies have been playing with plastic camshaft gears and lobes since the 70"s so it is not anything new. Everybody complained about the plastic camshaft failing in the Kawasaki engines, but keep in mind that failure was in the neighborhood of 800-1200 hours, which translates to a fair amount of them being scrapped long before the camshaft broke.
It's a balancing act to make a product last just long enough so the customer feels they got their money's worth from it.

/ Is quality going downhill? #26  
Isn't it Briggs that has the never change or add oil deal?
Briggs has the no change oil but you still have to add oil as needed. The theory is that the amount of oil between the add and full marks is 20% of the oil volume, and that 20% is adequate to replenish the additives in the oil to protect the engine.

The truth is there is a large number of people that never changed their engine oil in their mowers long before this came into play. The catch-22 in this is to maintain the no oil change status required regular maintenance of the spark plug and air filter. The problem though is the same people that don't change their engine oil also don't replace the air filter.

/ Is quality going downhill? #27  
People chose to buy cheap products not realizing that the quality option will disappear years down the road. Now, all we have is cheap and super cheap. It is the path that the majority of customers had chose for all of us.

/ Is quality going downhill? #28  
Quality is quite simple; pay the price and it’s there!

/ Is quality going downhill? #29  
Briggs has the no change oil but you still have to add oil as needed. The theory is that the amount of oil between the add and full marks is 20% of the oil volume, and that 20% is adequate to replenish the additives in the oil to protect the engine.

The truth is there is a large number of people that never changed their engine oil in their mowers long before this came into play. The catch-22 in this is to maintain the no oil change status required regular maintenance of the spark plug and air filter. The problem though is the same people that don't change their engine oil also don't replace the air filter.
When I read that somewhere, I actually cringed. Oil is so cheap, not changing it regularly is false economy. They do have a drain plug I presume? m Thought I'm a registered user over on the lawnmower forum, I don't go there way too many brain dead stupid people on it for my liking.

/ Is quality going downhill? #30  
I do know people that never change oil... just top off... one has owned equipment 25+ years and not changed.

So it does happen...