Is Rural Living a Hobby?

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #31  
Freud said a man needs 2 things, mark twain said essentially the same thing

love and work

he was referring to males, not **** sapiens in general.

i've always said, it takes passion to have a real hobby.

how many women you know have a real hobby?

once in a while........my mom was a golf addict

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #32  
Missouri is a perfect anchor location.
There is no "perfect" location. A place where you feel totally at home may make me feel like a fish out of water and vice versa. I see lots of TBN'ers extolling the virtues of regions I wouldn't even consider, likewise I'm sure northern New Hampshire isn't everyone's cup of tea either.
Last night I had the misfortune of riding along while my wife drove into FtW. Scares the heck out of me. She's one of those who only drives A few feet ahead of herself. Lots of unnecessary, abrupt braking. Our rural place simply has fewer opportunities for heavy, fast traffic. That reason alone should add years to my life. 😀
Heh. My wife drives like that too. Don't think she's ever had an accident or even a ticket (at least not since I've known her), but riding with her is a bit too white knuckle for me.

As for hobby vs lifestyle, I vote for lifestyle. It takes a certain kind of person to live out in the sticks, not everyone can (or wants to) do it. Yes, I have hobbies/interests/activities that better lend themselves to rural living but I live here because I prefer the lifestyle.
To me "hobby rural living"=vacation home. Come up on the weekend, go back to the city Sunday afternoon type of lifestyle.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #33  
Some do. Both of my wife's sisters have hobbies; for one it's photography, the other quilting. Both are very good at it.
I can think of several ex-GFs who also had activities they were very much into.
Then again, I know quite a few men who don't seem to have any sort of hobby.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #34  
Doughknob, a word a friend used to describe our lifestyle and I have become attached to it - means "relating to the pleasant aspects of the countryside and country life".
Oh, OK, i wondered if it was something contagious.....

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #35  

Pretty much every woman I know has at least one, if not several hobbies.

Jewelry making. Art restoration. Pottery. Basket making. Quilting. Sewing. Crocheting. Travel. Craft beer. Wine. Art in general. Egyptology. Fossil hunting. Photography. Collections (things, not money from deadbeats). Vintage motorcycles. Gardening and landscaping. And, of course, CATS!

And that list is just my female siblings! All retired except for 1.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #37  
Well I'm not rural per say, I'm in a Chicago exurb, but for me and the wifey it's perfect. We live on a few acres surrounded by other homes on acreage, in a scenic area not far from big box shopping, raise pigs when we feel like it, have some ducks for eggs, and I work mostly from a home shop.

I barely ever see other people other than my neighbors, some friends sometimes, or when going out shopping. And, I have enough work on my land to keep me busy w/o overburdening me. Most of my outdoor task are all about improving our property.

Very rarely do I have nothing to do around here, and that's the way I like it. In fact I love it, wouldn't trade it for anything. Yeh I guess it's a hobby, if a lifestyle could be called that.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #38  
Bucolic - pleasant aspects of the countryside

Bubonic - a plague

You have to love the English language.

MoKelly
The bucolic plague devastated the land with landscape paintings.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #39  
It all depends on where you're coming from. Just like all places, some people live in the country because they have to, others do it because they choose to. You see the difference in their attitudes and how they care for their place. If you have to live in the country then it's definitely not a hobby but it definitely can be if you choose to do so. Personally I view it as a hobby - a hobby that gives me exercise, offers an outlet for my creativity, and is very fulfilling - exactly what a hobby should do. If I had to do it to make rent, or because I felt stuck there (emotionally or physically) it would be a completely different story.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby?
If you have to live in the country then it's definitely not a hobby but it definitely can be if you choose to do so. Personally I view it as a hobby - a hobby that gives me exercise, offers an outlet for my creativity, and is very fulfilling - exactly what a hobby should do. If I had to do it to make rent, or because I felt stuck there (emotionally or physically) it would be a completely different story.
I can relate to the "if you have to do it" sentiment. Once in a while after building something someone will say you ought to do this for a living. No way would I enjoy doing the very same things in that context. When I am doing something here, I can do it, leave it, take my time, change things as I go, and no one to please but me. That way it is not work.