Is there any harm in greatly increasing HP driving a hydraulic pump?

/ Is there any harm in greatly increasing HP driving a hydraulic pump? #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I have a hydraulic pump driven by a 100hp Diesel engine. For various reasons we are looking at replacing the engine with one that is 230 hp.

If the RPMs are the same, which they will be, the hydraulic flow should be the same. Is there any potential harm I am overlooking In doing this?

/ Is there any harm in greatly increasing HP driving a hydraulic pump? #2  
If its the same RPMs there should be no problem.

/ Is there any harm in greatly increasing HP driving a hydraulic pump? #3  
Overpowered is not a problem, just uses more fuel, flow is related to pump speed so as long as the engine speed is the same it won't matter.

/ Is there any harm in greatly increasing HP driving a hydraulic pump? #4  
Just be sure you have relief valve set properly. The one in the pump system.

/ Is there any harm in greatly increasing HP driving a hydraulic pump? #5  
You only need enough HP to drive pump to point it's capable of over pressuring system and causing relief valve to operate.... Adding more HP is just going to be a fuel waster.....

Dale

/ Is there any harm in greatly increasing HP driving a hydraulic pump? #6  
Diesel engines, of which I am aware are "actual HP being used" fuel rated. Diesels are therefore economical even if only partially using the unit's capacity. Your fuel usage vs a lower hp to me would only consist of the added weight of turning larger parts at that rpm and of little fuel usage penalty, and the engine may have better fuel efficiency than the existing one....and the way to go if you had the engine in question just sitting around vs having to purchase a new engine.

/ Is there any harm in greatly increasing HP driving a hydraulic pump? #7  
you didnt clarify what the reasons were.
guessing you arnt happy with the performance of your pump.
guessing a bigger pump would be what you are really after

/ Is there any harm in greatly increasing HP driving a hydraulic pump?
The current motor is a Mitsubishi and has a bad injection pump. Parts are very hard to find for it and the injection pump costs close to 10k and has to come from Japan. Instead of buying an injection pump I was thinking of replacing the entire engine with a 12 valve 5.9 Cummins. Could likely be done for less than the cost of the injection pump and parts for the 5.9 are everywhere.

/ Is there any harm in greatly increasing HP driving a hydraulic pump? #9  
Not sure how the pump is driven but make sure it will be rotating the same direction.

/ Is there any harm in greatly increasing HP driving a hydraulic pump? #10  
The current motor is a Mitsubishi and has a bad injection pump. Parts are very hard to find for it and the injection pump costs close to 10k and has to come from Japan. Instead of buying an injection pump I was thinking of replacing the entire engine with a 12 valve 5.9 Cummins. Could likely be done for less than the cost of the injection pump and parts for the 5.9 are everywhere.

Is that Mitsubishi engine a 4D56 or 4M40 variant? Those use a very common VE pump.