Is there any market for a bare GC2300/2400?

/ Is there any market for a bare GC2300/2400? #1  

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
I misinterpreted my potential use of a tractor when I bought my GC2300 with cab and snowblower. I was buying it strictly as a snow removal tool.

After owning it for less than a year I am realizing how flexible its capabilities are. I would now like an FEL and mower*, but finding a used FEL is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

The best option I've come up with yet is buying a tractor with FEL and (belly) mower. I don't care if it's a GC2300 or GC2400; I understand the loader is the same until the GC17xx. Depending on hours and condition I might just swap the implements over to my current one, or swap my cab onto the "new" one.

However, that would leave me with a bare tractor. Unlike larger tractors, it seems like most of these SCUTs are used for mowing and/or loader, so I'm wondering how attractive a bare tractor is in the marketplace. My 2006 GC2300 has about 650 hours and is in good mechanical shape. Paint is a bit chalky as it was obviously an outdoor tractor. Is it reasonable to think I could get $3-4k for it? Right now I see a 2011 GC2400 with 460 hours nearby that has the FEL and 60" belly mower for $9900. What might that bare tractor be worth?

*I hate to mow, and would almost never do it myself. I haven't mowed my own grass for about 15 years - first it was my son and the last 3-4 years after he moved out I've been paying someone. However, my BIL is coming to live with us next month is ready/willing to take over that task. Since we are also moving to a new place that has an even bigger lawn, the cost of a mower will quickly pay for itself versus paying a pro.

/ Is there any market for a bare GC2300/2400? #2  
I would think that your price point is about right, but the problem I can see is that you would need to not only have it priced right (lets say around $3500) but now you are looking for that unique buyer that is only interested in the rear PTO and 3-Point system to do garden work or similar. That may prove to be a tough buyer to locate?

A bare tractor, from my perspective is about as useless as teets on a bull. So now you need to find someone who is not like me!

/ Is there any market for a bare GC2300/2400?
...now you are looking for that unique buyer that is only interested in the rear PTO and 3-Point system to do garden work or similar. That may prove to be a tough buyer to locate?

That is my concern. Just wondering what the demand is for a "pony" (small thing that can pull).

/ Is there any market for a bare GC2300/2400? #4  
If it turns out that you can only get a few thousand dollars for it, is it worth it to keep it as a second tractor, a dedicated snowblower and whatever other useful implements you might have use for?

/ Is there any market for a bare GC2300/2400? #5  
If you find a second GC2300 or 2400 with FEL & mower you could keep the mower on one and the FEL on the other. This way you would also have a back up for snow blowing in case one dies when needed. Might be a better option Vs losing your butt on trying to sell a bare unit.

I will consider keeping two machines and count it as part of my "education" cost. Heck of a lot cheaper than college at any rate.

/ Is there any market for a bare GC2300/2400? #7  
One way to find out... Throw it on Craigslist with the price you wanna get and see what happens. If you sell it, great. If not...then you know and you really haven't lost anything.

/ Is there any market for a bare GC2300/2400? #8  
I find it hard to believe your dealer can't find you a factory or aftermarket FEL at an acceptable price. (cheaper then buying another tractor)

Is there good reason you dont consider a rear mount finish mower?

I've been watching the local classifieds for a small tractor (20 ish hp) just to do my lawn...but I'm cheap and 2k Canadian is as high as I will go

I find it hard to believe your dealer can't find you a factory or aftermarket FEL at an acceptable price. (cheaper then buying another tractor)

I believe the new style DL95 loader will fit the tractor fine, but not with the old style Curtis Cab that I have. The cab is key - they are so expensive new, and I've never seen one for sale by itself.

Is there good reason you dont consider a rear mount finish mower?

I suppose I would consider it. I prefer the belly mower both because of maneuverability as well as only having one set of tires packing the grass down. But I've never actually used a rear mower other than the gang reel mowers when I worked at the golf course nearly 4 decades ago... The finish one did 13' at a pass :)

/ Is there any market for a bare GC2300/2400? #10  
1st off, for those who might suggest getting a fel to add to your unit, it's very important you understand why a fel is expensive as an add-on. Remember that a tractor with no fel does not have the front valve which is much more than just a couple hydraulic lines. . . It's the valve and control arm and stanchions that the fel mounts to plus the hydro lines.

Now as for a "bare" tractor. . . . Units like that are desired for lawn care businesses or small towns who cut a great deal of parks. Also they use the 3 pt. For a 3 pt. Sprayer as well as seeders wood chippers, or post hole diggers or tillers or generators as well as flail cutters, bush hogs or finish mowers or pulling wagons or concrete mixers or a front or rear plowing blade or rear snowblower. I have a set of forks that I can use on my gel or on my 3pt.

My point would be . . . You are thinking a bare tractor is sooooo limited when a mid pto and rear pto give you many more options than a fel does.