Is this frost weed?

/ Is this frost weed? #1  

Number15

Gold Member
Tractor
AC 7600 TTR, Branson 5520CH, Grasshopper 928D2
New to land maintenance and I have a question about these plants that are everywhere.
Is this frost weed? Should I get rid of it and if so how? I mow it and it pops right back. If I leave it it gets pretty tall.

PXL_20210912_131351959.jpg

PXL_20210912_131324304.jpg

PXL_20210912_131229901.jpg

PXL_20210912_130944326.jpg

PXL_20210912_130907904.jpg

PXL_20210912_125721959.jpg

/ Is this frost weed? #2  
Many species of goldenrod (>100) and that looks like one of them. Mowing will do nothing to remove or prevent re-sprouting. I'd spray Amine 400 when they're up and haven't flowered. (BTDT) Use a surfactant and if soluble a bit of liquid ferts to encourage uptake. Field/pasture grasses will return to dominance when no longer crowded out.

/ Is this frost weed? #3  
Please have some consideration for those that have low bandwidth Internet connections...crop your pics and include as attachments so they do not take so long to load...

/ Is this frost weed? #4  
One picture, (not six burning 25Mb) tells me either Goldenrod or wild mustard. I've seen fields full of both.

/ Is this frost weed? #5  
Yes, GOLDENROD.

Goldenrod is a perennial which spreads by seed and roots.

If you want to use mechanical control plowing, then disc harrowing soil 6" deep will kill Golderod over 2-3 years.

You will have to plow before plants set seed, then disc harrow every time new growth comes up during warm months.
Use a Tandem Disc Harrow with 22" diameter pans, 72" wide. Repeat in different directions.

Goldenrod goes dormant below ground level in Florida. I suppose you could plant a winter cover crop or deer foot plot of Oats/Wheat then turn the cover crop under in the Spring.

(Florida)

Frost Weed has a white flower on a 7' stalk. Frost Weed spreads very slowly. I grow it along my wrought iron fence, where it looks nice.

How is the field smoothing proceeding?

Last edited:
   / Is this frost weed? #6  
Depends on what you want there... For me, I have Golden Rod growing to give cover for wildlife. Also, so I don't have to mow a dozen acres monthly. You can spray to kill them... (it doesn't look like frost weed).

I also have blackberries that once I retire, I will work on trying to improve my pasture (turn it into 12 acre food plot!) At least try to...

Right now we just mow trails through the weeds and wild flowers...

/ Is this frost weed?
Thanks for the info. Sorry about the pictures. I did the post from my phone out in the field and just linked them. I will crop in the future 🙂

/ Is this frost weed?
How is the field smoothing proceeding?
So many things are popping up that I am getting behind on my tasks. Add to that I had to go back to FL for a week so that has put a dent in my time budget. I am working on the cistern issue first because I see it as a safety issue. I am going to order the sand and topsoil for it this week and fill it myself. Then some mowing and figuring out what I am going to do on the smoothing project. might hire the pro for a couple of days to see how he does it and then maybe learn by watching.

/ Is this frost weed? #9  
BTW - I LIKE your pictures and have no trouble loading. Nice to actually see something and not have to use a magnifying glass on the computer monitor.