Is this what water in diesel looks like?

/ Is this what water in diesel looks like? #1  

strantor

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H

I filled it with diesel from a can I filled 6-8 months ago. The can has sat under the lean-to next to the tractor all "winter," out of the elements but no indoors. It may or may not have been sealed well, not sure.

I was running it for 30 min, then filled it, then ran it 30 more minutes, did not experience any issue. Then I parked it for maybe 3 hrs, and when I started it back up, that's what it was doing. Once up around 2500 rpm the issue went away and after the engine was warm it would run fine at lower RPMs as well.

/ Is this what water in diesel looks like? #2  
I have been lead to believe, that if you leave diesel to stand, water will settle at the bottom. I`m not sure about your engine, but one thing is sure, and that's if you suspect water in there, to get it out as soon as you can. Not just the engine, but it doesn't do the injectors and fuel pump any good, and they are expensive. I use canned diesel, but always fill my tractor with a funnel that has a very fine filter that lets diesel through but not water, also I avoid using the last few pints in the can, as that's where all the crud settles.

/ Is this what water in diesel looks like? #3  
That could be water in the diesel. Symptoms can vary from rough intermittent running, to stalling under load, to not running at all.
Check the water separator on your tractor for water contamination.

/ Is this what water in diesel looks like? #4  
I agree if it is water drain the tank, if you have a separator you should see it. It could be a clogged fuel filter to.

/ Is this what water in diesel looks like? #5  
Never ever had water in diesel but have had a couple times in gas in 63 years of driving. Sounds as though it could be water. I'd change out the filter in the water catcher.

/ Is this what water in diesel looks like? #6  
If that tractor was mine I'd drain the water out of tank then install some fuel conditioner with Bio-cide to help control any future fungus growth. I agree with denchen's statement that water settles to bottom of container when left undisturbed because water is heavier than diesel

/ Is this what water in diesel looks like? #7  
That tractor does have a water sensor. It will (well, should) throw a dash light.
Capture.JPG

I think something else may be going on here. However, drain a bit of fuel from the filter, see if it has water in it.
If no water is present, I'm thinking a clogged injector... maybe. One cylinder is not firing all the time. But a clogged injector will also throw a code. Anything with the ECU, should throw a code.
Do you have a reader?
And it goes away when warm or at high RPM... leaning toward partially clogged injector or water in the fuel. The high RPM, the more pressure, the more fuel, the smoother it runs. The lower RPM, the lower the pressure the less fuel.
But check for water first.

/ Is this what water in diesel looks like? #9  
Thats is water in your diesel fuel.I use biocide and optil-lube summer winter fuel treatments.

/ Is this what water in diesel looks like? #10  
Water in diesel just do like the truckers do toss in
a can of heet cheap and easy way to go.

willy