ISO Advice on buying a used M4900

/ ISO Advice on buying a used M4900 #1  

Brambleberry

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 4850 EverClutch
I'm in need of an upgrade from my old Ferguson to35, and am looking at a M4900 4wd, 1100 hrs, that's pretty close by and seems to be a reasonable price.

I've been burned twice buying used tractors, and want some advice for what to look out for when I go to check out this (or really any similar Kubota) tractor?

Any common issues with M4900 to look for?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

/ ISO Advice on buying a used M4900 #2  
Kubota generally builds a good solid tractor. Having not spent much time looking at tractors myself I suggest talking to the owner to get a feel for how he maintained the tractor and general state of cleanliness. It's a tractor, not a car, so don't expect a new wax job. How hard is it to start from cold? Does it smoke? What color smoke if it does? Pull the dipstick to check oil level. It will probably be black as many older tractors do turn oil black soon after a change. Do the grease fittings show signs of recent lubrication or are they caked with old dry grease? Do all the gears work? PTO? 4WD? Differrential lock? Does the clutch slip? Check underneath for leaks.

/ ISO Advice on buying a used M4900 #3  
Check for clutch pedal free play and whether or not the external clutch linkage shows signs of substantial adjustment to maintain the correct free play. If it shows substantial adjustments have been made the clutch may function properly but be near the end of its service life.

/ ISO Advice on buying a used M4900 #4  
dealership or individual seller? yes to above on the clutch wear. you don't want to make that replacement initially. is there a maintenance log? i'd question seller on scheduled maintenance, how many hrs ago the hyd fluid was changed, take a look at the air filter & water separator.
if everything checks out you'll like the M series. i too went with a TO35 for 28 yrs. loyal tractor, but apples & oranges compared to M. good luck
in addition, were i looking as yourself, i'd consider finding an impartial experienced diesel/tractor mechanic, & paying him 100 to personally access the machine. money well spent

Last edited:
   / ISO Advice on buying a used M4900
This is an individual seller. Going to look at it tomorrow afternoon.

I was trying to figure out a good way to get it to a mechanic before buying, but I like that idea of paying one to come along. I think I'll go on my own tomorrow but then get a mechanic to go back with me on a second trip before I make the actual transaction.

Thanks for the great ideas!

/ ISO Advice on buying a used M4900
Check for clutch pedal free play and whether or not the external clutch linkage shows signs of substantial adjustment to maintain the correct free play. If it shows substantial adjustments have been made the clutch may function properly but be near the end of its service life.
Any ballpark idea of what a clutch replacement would cost on this tractor? If I see danger of worn clutch, I might just try to talk them down since I'd be expecting to have that cost in the near future.

M4900 has a wet clutch, right?

/ ISO Advice on buying a used M4900 #7  
This is an individual seller. Going to look at it tomorrow afternoon.

I was trying to figure out a good way to get it to a mechanic before buying, but I like that idea of paying one to come along. I think I'll go on my own tomorrow but then get a mechanic to go back with me on a second trip before I make the actual transaction.

Thanks for the great ideas!
Don't play around looking at the tractor for more than a day or two.
Good used tractors are very hard to find in this current market.
If you dally,..... someone else will buy that tractor!

Last edited:
   / ISO Advice on buying a used M4900 #8  
How many hours on the tractor? Does it look like the owner took care of it? How does everything else around his place look? If it's in shambles it give you an idea of what's normal there! If he appears to take care of thing and hours are reasonable you will more than likely never have a clutch replacement
problem.

As mentioned earlier, better go over with a trailer and ready to make a deal 'cause you hesitate on a good machine and you'll keep looking because they're gone!

/ ISO Advice on buying a used M4900 #9  
since time may be of essence you might also consider putting down a non refundable 100 or so till you get it checked out. btw welcome to the forum, wise to post here best regards

/ ISO Advice on buying a used M4900 #10  
since time may be of essence you might also consider putting down a non refundable 100 or so till you get it checked out. btw welcome to the forum, wise to post here best regards
A very good idea for the OP!