Issues with the WM WC46

/ Issues with the WM WC46 #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
Ran the chipper today for the first time since last season. Got 2 issues maybe others can chip in with their experience.
Plan to cut another 1 inch off each PTO shaft. Followed the instructions and think it's too long when lifted and running. Had this issue last year, of course. Just was careful to shut it off before lifting very much.

Got a log caught underneath the roller because of a crotch with a side branch. The crotch is right where I need to put a crowbar to raise the roller to pull the thing out. Have others figured out a way to raise the roller from the outside where the springs are?

Got some people coming tomorrow to replace our deck boards. Good time to do this kind of maintenance.

Thanks.

Ralph

/ Issues with the WM WC46 #2  
It might be easiest to unbolt the springs and then use a pry bar or vice grips to raise the roller. I have had to undo the springs when removing stuck branches from my Woodmaxx 8H.

/ Issues with the WM WC46
How big a deal is the unbolting of the springs and then getting them back?

Discovered the circular bar with a lightweight strap atop it that goes between the 2 pieces of metal holding the roller bearings.

Can use a long crowbar between the top of the chipper and the circular bar to raise the roller. Could also use a scissor jack if by yourself or lift up a floor jack and use it.

The long metal bar worked.

I've cut another inch off each end of the PTO shaft.

/ Issues with the WM WC46 #5  
I have a wc68 that has the same problem. I think they should sell an optional bar that mounts on the side that you could push down on to raise the roller. Often times I have trouble starting a branch (especially a large one) cutting the ends at 45 degrees helps but hasn't always been done before chipping.

/ Issues with the WM WC46 #6  
The Woodmaxx 8H had a lever that you can use to raise the upper roller. It's one of the reasons I went with it instead of the Woodland Mills though it was really close and in a lot of ways the WM looks like a better unit.

On the 8H the springs are adjustable with an eye bolt on one end. The threads are long enough that you can loosen them until the tension of off the spring. Otherwise I need a spring hook to remove/install the springs. I have done it both ways.

I have a wc68 that has the same problem. I think they should sell an optional bar that mounts on the side that you could push down on to raise the roller. Often times I have trouble starting a branch (especially a large one) cutting the ends at 45 degrees helps but hasn't always been done before chipping.
You sometimes have to start a small piece and then put the bigger one right on the tail end or beside it. Yeah. Wish WM had a lever to push up on that roller top bar.

The Woodmaxx 8H had a lever that you can use to raise the upper roller. It's one of the reasons I went with it instead of the Woodland Mills though it was really close and in a lot of ways the WM looks like a better unit.

On the 8H the springs are adjustable with an eye bolt on one end. The threads are long enough that you can loosen them until the tension of off the spring. Otherwise I need a spring hook to remove/install the springs. I have done it both ways.
Wonder if the roller raiser on the Woodmax would work on the WM WC?

/ Issues with the WM WC46 #9  
Maybe the concept would work but since the chippers are not clones or even all that similar, you'd have to make it specific to the Woodland Mills design.

/ Issues with the WM WC46 #10  
Discovered the circular bar with a lightweight strap atop it that goes between the 2 pieces of metal holding the roller bearings.

Can use a long crowbar between the top of the chipper and the circular bar to raise the roller. Could also use a scissor jack if by yourself or lift up a floor jack and use it.

The long metal bar worked.

I've cut another inch off each end of the PTO shaft.
Thanks for following up with your solutions. It does help those of us that might run into the same issues.