italian cast vinyard tractor

/ italian cast vinyard tractor #11  
Does anybody out there know any thing about this tractor CAST 435L

Dim,I know about them as I used to own one.a 435.Did quite a bit of work on it.

/ italian cast vinyard tractor #12  
Dim,I know about them as I used to own one.a 435.Did quite a bit of work on it.

DenNMS - I'm writing an article about a CAST 435L for Antique Power magazine (for whom I work as managing editor). After days of research, I'm still finding very little about this machine. Would you mind being a source for my article? I would just need to work with you by email or phone to make it happen.

If anyone else can help with my research, I would appreciate hearing from them.

Please contact me through this forum.

Brad Bowling
Managing Editor, Antique Power magazine

/ italian cast vinyard tractor #13  
DenNMS - I'm writing an article about a CAST 435L for Antique Power magazine (for whom I work as managing editor). After days of research, I'm still finding very little about this machine. Would you mind being a source for my article? I would just need to work with you by email or phone to make it happen.

If anyone else can help with my research, I would appreciate hearing from them.

Please contact me through this forum.

Brad Bowling
Managing Editor, Antique Power magazine

Brad Bowling,I would be glad to help you out with the Cast tractor info that I have.I need your email so I can reply to you.Denny

/ italian cast vinyard tractor #14  
Brad Bowling,I would be glad to help you out with the Cast tractor info that I have.I need your email so I can reply to you.Denny

DenNMs - Thanks for the super-fast reply. Can't wait to hear from a fellow Mississippian about this CAST tractor. I'm from Amory, about 2 hours away from you. Feel free to shoot me an email at brad@ertelpublishing.com. Brad

/ italian cast vinyard tractor #16  
Hi - I hope you are still monitoring these posts. I have a tractor similar/identical to yours & live in Brown County Indiana. I would like to find one for parts. I know some details about these tractors, having owned one for 20 years.

They were imported to US by a company in Indianapolis, several years ago I spoke to a guy who worked at the company who imported them (I don't remember the name of the company in Indy however). These tractors were imported in late 60's or early 70's, during the "longshoreman's strike" which tied up the ports & caused delays in shipments (this according to the man I spoke with). I also found reference to this tractor in a tractor encyclopedia, I have a photocopy somewhere in my files. I think the guy told me they imported maybe 1000 or 2000 of these tractors to the US. He said there was a large Gypsum mile/quarry in Georga that had several hundred at one time....

These are really cool & interesting tractors, I've used mine in the woods to skid trees and I have several attachments. The 3 point hitch allows most standard attachments work fine but you need a short drive shaft. Motori Salanzi engine, two cylinder direct inject diesel with 30 +/- HP. The engine is very easy on fuel and in the right soil conditions it really has a lot of grunt & pulls nearly as well as my 3710 Kubota.

The 4 WD system has front & rear differential locks, independent suspension, and the steering is reversed when you swing the seat around to the opposite direction, which is really amazing & well engineered. There are pedals for driving in forward or rearward direction, depending on which way you swing the seat. Crab steer. Each wheel is driven by a CV joint type axle, through a compound reduction unit at each wheel.

Parts are challengng to find & you need to be creative - the CV boots are similar to Audi 4000 & Audi 5000. The upper and lower ball joints are similar to Fiat & I have used Fiat joints with modification when needed (these are one of the weak links, as I have found out twice). The fuel filter is Mercedes I think.... other odds and ends are comon to European cars of the era. The guy who worked for the importer told me that some of the parts like the CV joints were comon with Porsche.... etc.

Mine still runs but nearly all the oil seals are shot & need replacement, the oil runs out of the axle stubs & transmission input shaft about as fast as you can pour it in. The brakes no longer work & electrical system (alternator, lights, wiring, etc) has never worked... so decided to retire it to County Fair duty & bought the 3710 Kubota for more practical (and safer, with ROPS etc!) day to day work.

I have the owners manual and tool kit for mine. Send me your e-mail address (mine is angmokuk@yahoo.com) and I will forward a picture if I can find one. Eric

/ italian cast vinyard tractor #17  
I got my Cast restored. I have forks for 3 point lift and use it bring in fire wood and I love it. I had to find cv boots, four ball joints, fuel and oil, filters, and a new hood. I replaced all axel seals and rear transmission seal. The tractor has had power steering added. The 3 point moves slow needed a bigger hydralic pump to handle power steering and 3 point lift. My fuel pump has stared to drip fuel. I got a new one coming. I've found tractors with serial number as low as 004 and as high as 569

/ italian cast vinyard tractor #18  
Dale,Thanks for the update on your progress of your Cast.

/ italian cast vinyard tractor #19  
When I got my CAST it only had 217 hours . The tractor now has over 800 hrs on it. Been using it and enjoying it.

/ italian cast vinyard tractor #20  
How about some picts., I've never seen a Cast tractor...

SR