JD 1020 spraying Hydraulic fluid

/ JD 1020 spraying Hydraulic fluid #1  

Schneeky

Silver Member
Hey guys. Our 1972 JD 1020 (gas) hunt club tractor, which is a running testimony to the durability of a JD, started spraying hydraulic fluid about a week ago at the "cleaned off" spot on the rockshaft cover in the pic. We're in the middle of season prep work and tried to patch it with some JB weld just to get by for another day or two. I've done a coupla searches and read a thread or 2 about something similar I think. Seems there was mention of these having issues with seals and there being a seal kit for it. Anyways, it was doing ok, the JB slowed the flow from a spray to a slow leach. But now a seal on an old FEL connection has blown out.
Kinda wondering if this is all from the same problem.
Is there s'posed to be pressure in the HF reservoir? It's also pretty hot to the touch on the side of the reservoir when it's been running.
We're gonna try to work on it after it cools off a bit. Would like to get some ideas about where to start.
Thanks much for any help.. d:^)

) 20210918_114610.jpg

/ JD 1020 spraying Hydraulic fluid #3  
From your picture, I think the leak is in the passage from the transmission case to the rockshaft cover. JD uses a "washer" P/N T17882 to seal this passage.
Before pulling the rockshaft housing, look in the transmission fill hole for oil spraying internally. A sign your rockshaft valve is leaking and needs to be resealed. Seal kit is P/N AR92385
1020rockshaftsealkit.JPG
1020 washerT17882.JPG
1020 washerT17882.JPG
1020 washerT17882.JPG

/ JD 1020 spraying Hydraulic fluid #4  
Zebrafive
It appears you're having problems posting photo's. I have problems attempting to log in with my original handle(Tx Jim)with a password provided by site moderator. Oh well life continues.

/ JD 1020 spraying Hydraulic fluid
From your picture, I think the leak is in the passage from the transmission case to the rockshaft cover. JD uses a "washer" P/N T17882 to seal this passage. Before pulling the rockshaft housing, look in the transmission fill hole for oil spraying internally. A sign your rockshaft valve is leaking and needs to be resealed. Seal kit is P/N AR92385
Will do. Gonna be a few days before I'm back down there. Momma's gettin a lil light surgery done.
Is there anything particular I should do do initiate said spraying check? Work the lift arms or some such?
Thanks.. d:^)

/ JD 1020 spraying Hydraulic fluid #6  
Zebrafive
It appears you're having problems posting photo's. I have problems attempting to log in with my original handle(Tx Jim)with a password provided by site moderator. Oh well life continues.
First my "snipping tool" was gone AWOL, no where to be found in windows menu. Now it's back, but posting "weird" multiples of the same "snip"

/ JD 1020 spraying Hydraulic fluid #7  
Will do. Gonna be a few days before I'm back down there. Momma's gettin a lil light surgery done.
Is there anything particular I should do do initiate said spraying check? Work the lift arms or some such?
Thanks.. d:^)
I have not experienced this leak or viewed it myself.
TxJim, retired JD service manager, first brought this to my attention.
I ASSUME the spraying will be present with just the tractor running? But not sure.
I am TxJim can explain further.

/ JD 1020 spraying Hydraulic fluid #8  
Very similar to your snipping tool problem I've been having problems with logging in. I had to change my handle then was asked by moderator if I wanted my old handle back with a new temporary passwortd so I replied sure. Tempory password wouldn't work so I now have a third handle. Contact button at bottom of page is inoperable on my computer & I replied several times on email containing my temp password. I

On oil spraying I can intelligently answer that question because I never attempted to operate a 10-55 series utility tractor with rockshaft housing AWOL.

/ JD 1020 spraying Hydraulic fluid #9  
I agree that the T17882 packing is blown out, as well as mounting gasket T21641. You can try looking in the fill hole with hitch up and down both, although since the T17882 is blown, it is probably spraying inside also which will make it difficult to tell if spraying oil is coming from blown orings on valves or piston as well. The AR92385 kit is no longer furnished. It substitutes now to individual orings. The parts prices are pretty minimal, so it would be worth resealing valve and cylinder while you have it off to replace gasket and packing. The excess heat you are feeling may be those seals leaking or internal leaks in steering, or scv as well.

/ JD 1020 spraying Hydraulic fluid
Could this problem mebbe be caused by just over filling it?
They guys removed the old leaking connector for the FEL and plugged that hole.
And now they say that the spraying has stopped at the rock shaft housing since the fluid level is down some.
I was told that the level was a little low but still halfway up the stick.

Zebrafive- Yes, it would do it while sitting and idling. And dunno if it's related, but it does leak down pretty fast after it's shut off. The rotary cutter is flat on the ground in a few minutes.

Last edited: