JD 2040S lower link arms removal

/ JD 2040S lower link arms removal #1  

hward

Tractor
JD2040S
I've got an oil leak on the bit where the lower arms go into the tractor and believe it's the seal in there that need replacing. However, I'm stumped for getting the arms off. I've take the wire clip bit off, but it looks like there's a pin that's going through the cap on the end of the shaft that needs hitting through to get it off. (Sorry I don't know the exact names for the parts!). Is there a certain way to get that pin out? It looks like once the pin is out the bit it's holding in will unscrew off the end of the load shaft, which will then allow me to take the lower arm off, if that's right? I've tried using another bolt to hit it through but it's not budging anywhere yet, or is it just a case of a big hammer and a lot of hitting it? I can't use the tractor until it's done as I can put a whole bottle of oil in and it runs out within a few days.
Thanks in advance.

S.75841 Bush for John Deere 2:mad: (4 Series) | UK Supplier
This is the bit I'm trying to get off

/ JD 2040S lower link arms removal #2  
The pin should drive out, then the bushing should slide off the load control shaft.

/ JD 2040S lower link arms removal
Thanks, so just need a bit more force then

/ JD 2040S lower link arms removal #4  
I think retaining pin should just tap out. Removing pin may require some "heating". Spec's for pin are listed in photo below.

One needs to drain the hyd oil in order to remove/inspect L/D control shaft. Be sure to place L/D control lever in "D" or minimum before removing shaft for easier reassembly.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-06-29 121647.png
    Annotation 2020-06-29 121647.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 131
   / JD 2040S lower link arms removal
I've tried hitting it (a lot!) and I've now tried heating it as well but it's still not shifted. Can't use the tractor until its done as all the oil leaks out within a couple of days of putting it in. Any other ideas as to how to get it out? Just how much heat does it need to get it off? Could be I've not had it hot enough?

/ JD 2040S lower link arms removal #6  
I have no experience with those pins. I think you will have to get pin very hot. Another possibility is drilling pin with a carbide tipped drill bit or blow pin out utilizing an acetylene torch if available in the UK.

/ JD 2040S lower link arms removal #8  
Heat and hitting my have mushroomed the end of the pin???
I think I would try drilling them out as TxJim suggested. Start small and work up. You should get to the point the pins will collapse.
Worst case you destroy pins, bushings, and shaft and have to replace those too. Sounds like the pins are ruined. I would probably next sacrifice the bushings and try to save the shaft. Maybe grind away the bushing and pin until almost to the shaft and then try driving out the remains of the pin?