Backhoe JD 410C lost all hydraulics.

/ JD 410C lost all hydraulics. #1  

dmcb

Tractor
Mit dozer,John Deere 410C, Kubota, New Holland.
The good news is I am about an hour from completing the task I bought this backhoe for.
The bad news is I have no hydraulics.
The story.
Blew a hyd. hose and replaced.
Oil is full and it worked fine.
For a few digs.
While doing a dig the hydraulics wouldn't pick up the load. Dumped the load and got it up.
Tried it again and it was normal so I started digging again. 2 loads and I lost hydraulics again but this time I couldn't get it up even empty.
Let it set overnight and tried it again. Hydraulics work enough for me to get the stabilizers and the hoe up. Also the bucket.
I moved it and the transmission worked normal.
Parked it and no hydraulics. Tranny still normal.
Changed the filter and nothing.
I do have a little power steering. Turns harder than it should but I can turn it with the machine stopped.
I suspect its the hydraulic pump and I'm OK with changing that. These things happen but I want to be sure that is what it is before I do.
Also is it as easy as it looks to replace. Ya I know nothing ever is but it looks like its not to bad a job.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Doug

/ JD 410C lost all hydraulics. #2  
I'd suggest getting a pressure gauge and do some checking of pressures at various places and times. Need to track down the problem.
Are there any in-line screens that may have blown through and lodged in the control valves? Not sure if you have any or not on the 410C
Wish you good luck tracking it down. The work/not-work is puzzling.

/ JD 410C lost all hydraulics. #3  
beenthere said:
I'd suggest getting a pressure gauge and do some checking of pressures at various places and times. Need to track down the problem.
Are there any in-line screens that may have blown through and lodged in the control valves? Not sure if you have any or not on the 410C
Wish you good luck tracking it down. The work/not-work is puzzling.

Sounds like your hydraulic pump is air bound. Disconnect the output and pump some fluid into a bucket, similar to bleeding brakes.

/ JD 410C lost all hydraulics. #4  
1st check to be sure frt pump shaft is turning with engine crankshaft. How long since hyd filters were changed & sump screen(parts key 25) checked?? I agree that one needs a hyd gauge and perform some diagnostics. Many frt hyd pumps have been replaced only to find out that hyd pump that was removed wasn't the hyd problem. JD CC hyd's such as a 410C should bleed any air out just by operation. Personally I think air isn't your tractors hyd problem. It's possible that a piece of trash has gotten lodged in the stroke control valve seat area which puts the frt hyd pump out of stroke therefore stopping pump from pumping oil.

Attachments

• TP17899________UN01JAN94.gif
    TP17899________UN01JAN94.gif
    28.6 KB · Views: 323
   / JD 410C lost all hydraulics. #5  
Does your tractor have the electric destroking solenoid? It would be located on frt hyd pump on I think LH side.

Attachments

• RXP6589________UN01JAN94.gif
    RXP6589________UN01JAN94.gif
    8 KB · Views: 359
   / JD 410C lost all hydraulics. #6  
Tx Jim
What does the electric destroking solenoid do ? just curious..

/ JD 410C lost all hydraulics. #7  
Tx Jim
What does the electric destroking solenoid do ? just curious..

It takes the hydraulic pump out of stroke so that it isn't pumping while you crank up the engine. Performs the same task as an unloader valve would making the pump easier to turn.

/ JD 410C lost all hydraulics. #8  
Ditto what jenkinsph stated. Makes engine & hyd pump easier to turn over/start running

/ JD 410C lost all hydraulics. #9  
:thumbsup:
Makes perfect sense now... tks

/ JD 410C lost all hydraulics.
Does your tractor have the electric destroking solenoid? It would be located on frt hyd pump on I think LH side.

Yes it does. I wondered what that was.
I just changed the filter which was very clean.
The shaft is turning.
I should mention I lost a lot of oil when I blew the hose. I filled it and it worked after I replaced the hose.
One more thing I need to mention.
Since I have had this machine I felt it didn't lift a load like it should but never running one before I didn't have anything to compare it with.
I have been digging sand in water. The bucket was heaping but when extended all the way it wouldn't lift it straight up or struggled very hard to move it. If I brought the load in some it worked better. Today I ask a guy who operates one about that and he said it should lift the load or the front of the tractor. It has never came close to doing that.

Last edited: