JD 450C Clutch Housing Oil Change??

/ JD 450C Clutch Housing Oil Change?? #1  

Flatheadyoungin

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45 Shuttle
Ok, I've changed just about all of my fluids in the 450C. However, even with the book, I just don't understand how to change the clutch housing fluid. I see what looks like two drain plugs but I can't seem to locate the fill hole for each side.

Any ideas?

/ JD 450C Clutch Housing Oil Change?? #2  
When you say two drain plugs, are you talking about the ones down by the final drives? There is a drain on the inside of each final drive, under the machine, they like a pipe plug. The two fill plugs are also a pipe plug that are facing rear of the machine, about 8 inches off the ground. I believe you just fill them until the fluid runs out of the hole.

There is a different set of filler plugs that are right above the tracks and 12:00 from the rear sprocket. Most of the time you can't see that plug because the area is ususally packed in mud/dirt.

I'm not sure if those are the holes you are looking for, but thought I would put in my .02 cents.

/ JD 450C Clutch Housing Oil Change??
Yeah, I didn't get to finish my thread, I had to chase the kids!;)

I changed the final drive oil in both sides. You're right about the mud. I carried a small flathead screwdriver to clean them out.

On further back (underneath), there are two more similar drain plugs. I think they are for the steering clutches but they would only be good for draining because they are both on the bottom most point of the housing. So, I assume they are for draining. I can't, however, find the fill holes.

So you think the fill holes are on the outside near the sprockets. I saw some very large pipe style plugs on the side of the dozer (can't recall exactly where) but I think they are for adjusting the brakes or something.

It's out to the property, so it may be the weekend before I can check it out. In the mean time, any advice you give is great! Also, I'll look back through the factory service manuals.

When you say two drain plugs, are you talking about the ones down by the final drives? There is a drain on the inside of each final drive, under the machine, they like a pipe plug. The two fill plugs are also a pipe plug that are facing rear of the machine, about 8 inches off the ground. I believe you just fill them until the fluid runs out of the hole.

There is a different set of filler plugs that are right above the tracks and 12:00 from the rear sprocket. Most of the time you can't see that plug because the area is ususally packed in mud/dirt.

I'm not sure if those are the holes you are looking for, but thought I would put in my .02 cents.

/ JD 450C Clutch Housing Oil Change?? #4  
clutch housing oil, are you talking about the torque converter ?
In most wheel loaders, the TC has a common sump with the powershift. (speaking ZF powershift but a Deere probably has a Funk powershift)