JD 47" Snowblower Chute Leakage

/ JD 47" Snowblower Chute Leakage #1  

zzvyb6

Elite Member
Tractor
jd 1070
Greetings and 'Have a Happy, New Year'.

I just picked up a used early model JD 47" wide 2 stage front snowblower that has all the characteristics of a 59 model (gearbox, shaft drive 2000 rpm clockwise input, (looking forward). I've adapted it to my JD F-935 'front mower' power unit by building a square tube front mount equipped with a shaft reversing gearbox mimicking the 47" 2 stage model pto reverser offered on the F-900 series mowers. I had extra short drive shafts from my mower decks so it all pieced together nicely. Seems to work mechanically very well. I saw a YouTube video about a fellow who added a 12v linear actuator for spout control, so me too (eBay $25.00). First impressions were that the stock spout leaked a lot of snow at the hinge (just 2 carriage bolts) location to the chute. Parts lists show a door type hinge (in plastic) as a later OEM part which many users have complained about breaking. So, I took a section of round-baler belt (Rural King- $2.99 per foot) and made a flapper hinge. No leakage from the hinge area any more.

But, there is quite a bit of powdered snow just not getting a good kick so it just sorta falls out of the chute. 90% goes 20' or more, but the 10% that is short winds up all over me. I found a major 2005 discussion here about chute performance, but was wondering what other Forum members get for leakage and what to do about it.

Can you enclose the chute base (its square), extend the discharge ring higher upwards, put in a new impeller (some think a worn impeller causes this), or live with it? In wet snow it has never clogged, its a real problem with dry stuff. What have you guys found out?

/ JD 47" Snowblower Chute Leakage #2  
More current blowers have a triangular plate across part of the fan opening to contain the stuff on the fan.

You could even make it from plywood and bolt it on to try. Experiment with the size.

gbT9e5l.jpg

Dave M7040

/ JD 47" Snowblower Chute Leakage #3  
My 44 inch snowblower is nothing but RAD junk and the chute costs a $130.00 to replace it anytime the snowblower has to deal with heavy snow with chunks of ice thanks to the NYSDOT and their bare roads policy causing ice dams.

You can purchase an impeller kit to improve the performance of your snow blower and also do this which is done on the european snow blowers-You can bolt a length of round hay baler belt to the top of the snow blower cross auger housing if it is enclosed at the top to reduce the spray of snow.as well.

Lastly, you can enclose the chute base to reduce the spray exiting the chute by using round baler belt too rather than steel. The idea is to just contain it and allow the force and energy used to discharge it stay in concentrated form to continue pushing it upward and outward. it also will flex somewhat preventing the buildup of snow as long as you run the engine wide open/high idle.

/ JD 47" Snowblower Chute Leakage #4  
The open square edges are to help clear a snow dam. My blower has a square chute, but momentum of snow keeps is all going up. My deflector was leaking bad due to fatigue holes that had worked their way in at the pivot bolt, but I welded those holes up this spring.

/ JD 47" Snowblower Chute Leakage #5  
Nice video editing Eric. I pay people to do my editing, if I could get it that good I'd do my own. No significant snow here in east central Alberta yet so blower sits at the edge of the driveway. It is mid - 30's Celsius here so even snow refuses to play outside these days.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using TractorByNet mobile app