JD 5105 Fuel Gauge. Bad Idea?

/ JD 5105 Fuel Gauge. Bad Idea? #1  

DaveInHouston

Tractor
John Deere 5105
My 5105 has the chronically bad fuel sending unit where you have to drain the tank to change it out. Not to mention pay Deere $150 for a new one. And hope it lasts maybe a year. And doesn’t leak.
I’m looking at some strictly manual, spiral float gauges, that insert from a hole in the top. Gauge is in the cap. They come in a variety of lengths up to 24”. Looks like I’d need about 19”. Concern is that I’d have to cut a hole in the top of the tank to install it. Then just look over my shoulder to check the gauge. They also make an electric version that sends a signal to a conventional gauge. I like the simplicity of the mech version. I’ve seen these used in industrial and marine applications.
Any thoughts?
8AB1E350-D2AB-48F5-B46A-69D9EE076724.png

/ JD 5105 Fuel Gauge. Bad Idea? #4  
My 5105 has the chronically bad fuel sending unit where you have to drain the tank to change it out. Not to mention pay Deere $150 for a new one. And hope it lasts maybe a year. And doesn’t leak.
I’m looking at some strictly manual, spiral float gauges, that insert from a hole in the top. Gauge is in the cap. They come in a variety of lengths up to 24”. Looks like I’d need about 19”. Concern is that I’d have to cut a hole in the top of the tank to install it. Then just look over my shoulder to check the gauge. They also make an electric version that sends a signal to a conventional gauge. I like the simplicity of the mech version. I’ve seen these used in industrial and marine applications.
Any thoughts?View attachment 724002

Does this one fit?
JD CH15741

1638902725617.png

or the
JD AM143250

John Deere AM143250 Fuel Tank Cap Gauge | OEM Parts

1638902851327.png

You just have to know the cap size to thread and the depth of the tank. :)

/ JD 5105 Fuel Gauge. Bad Idea?
No, it has an odd shaped tank and you can only see a few inches into it From the filler cap. I can poke a wooden dowel down to the bottom but it’s at about a 30 degree angle.

/ JD 5105 Fuel Gauge. Bad Idea? #6  
I have a 5105 and have replaced the sender once about nine years ago and it needs it again. The first time it was a leak caused by brush hogging debris snagging the wiring harness, this time it just started hanging up and acting irratic. I see no other option than to use the Deere unit.