JD 5105 Rockshaft arms stuck in up position

/ JD 5105 Rockshaft arms stuck in up position #1  

texstrk426

Tractor
John Deere 5105
This week I was ready to do some brush mowing and brought the JD 5105 out of the barn. I raised the mowing attachment with the 3-pt hitch control and backed out. When I tried to lower the mowing attachment it would not come down. I also noticed that it had raised the arms higher than before. I tried letting the system bleed down some overnight and that did allow the rear wheel of the mowing attachment to touch the ground, but the lift arms had hardly moved. Three of us stood on the forward part of the mowing attachment to see if extra weight might get the arms to move down. That did nothing.

I can see the square-head bolt on the shaft P/N R140494, that leads to the rockshaft assembly rotate as I move the control lever from the driver's seat. There is a looseness to its movement that I have never experienced before. There is a "control lever", P/N RE72708, which is moved by the lever next to the driver. That control lever is clamped to the shaft that rotates on the side of the rockshaft assembly. I thought at first that perhaps the shaft was slipping in the control lever, but when watching it as the lever next to the driver is moved, the shaft is clearly turning with the movement of the driver's lever. I see no looseness in any of the fastening of parts to the shaft.

The power steering and the front loader both work fine - no problems there.

Any ideas?

Joe

/ JD 5105 Rockshaft arms stuck in up position #2  
Most tractors have a knob to adjust the speed the 3pt drops. Find it and open it up some.

/ JD 5105 Rockshaft arms stuck in up position #3  
Possibly this was closed?

Attachments

• 5105_rateofdrop_knob.jpg
    5105_rateofdrop_knob.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 383
   / JD 5105 Rockshaft arms stuck in up position #4  
Did you get it going again ?
If not
Get your tractor under a gantry and lift the impliment with a tackle til there is no downwight on the arms.
Then you remove that valve.
This pic is from a Same but the hidge is a Mita.oil will spill so be ready for it.
Now you can start stripping the valve by remocing its topcover.
Then removing the valve with the 2 flat sides. Clamp that 2 flat sides in a vice and check if that inside spool is stuck (grain of sand or a little twig) undo the rest of that valve and remove that spool.
Polish it and reassemble it .
By wake-up how that flatsides was standing before you removed that valve and put it back the same way it was !
Ontop of the valve is 5 allen- head screws. Only unscrew 3 that is standing the same. The other 2 is an adjustment . Do not tauch them .20200710_130052.jpeg20200710_130031.jpeg20200710_125958.jpeg

/ JD 5105 Rockshaft arms stuck in up position
DLTrekkers;

You wrote, "This pic is from a Same but the hidge is a Mita." Did you mean Same=sample? What is a hidge and a Mita?

I did visit my dealer and he says spool valve is likely stuck due to rust in the rockshaft assembly. He said that the original spool valve lacked any kind of plating and that John Deere had later started plating the spool valve with nickel to prevent this. He gave me a print-out of some pages showing the parts with some extra pages listing the P/N for each part.
Rockshaft arm issue 01.jpg
Rockshaft arm issue 02.jpg
Rockshaft arm issue 03.jpg
I am going to try the adjustment mentioned yesterday. I did not manage to do that and a simple adjustment would be great if it corrects the problem. The dealer said around $1500 to service the spool valve plus the pick-up at my location to get the tractor to them would be $140 plus a $50 service call fee. I have a trailer that would haul the tractor, but it needs new tires so that would cost more than having them come out and pick the tractor up.

Joe

/ JD 5105 Rockshaft arms stuck in up position #6  
It s Mita hidge. JD...Same....Case and a lot more tractors use it. Its a Italian make.

/ JD 5105 Rockshaft arms stuck in up position #7  
That adjustment is to set your rate of drop. If close it will stay in the up posision.when completly open your impliment wil fall an not lowering at a steady rate.

/ JD 5105 Rockshaft arms stuck in up position #8  
Do not do that adjustment ! Its for the sensitivity of the lever !

/ JD 5105 Rockshaft arms stuck in up position
It turned out that the Rate of Drop Knob "K" did not help the situation. I ran it from one end of adjustment all the way to the other end of adjustment and it did no good. In the meantime, I discovered that the sway chain links are in a severe bind and extremely tight. At this point I suspect that I managed to get the mowing attachment moved so high that the arms and sway chain links are the problem. My son and I are trying different methods of getting enough looseness somewhere in the system to allow us to get those sway chains loosened enough to permit things to move. At 77 yrs. old my physical strength is not where it used to be. My son is in his 40s now and much stronger than I ever was, so we are working the issue together. He has to do some other tasks over the weekend, so we will tackle the problem again on Monday if all goes well.

Thanks for suggestions.

Joe

/ JD 5105 Rockshaft arms stuck in up position #10  
Are your sway control links like pictured? You might be able to remove the pin at either end.

Attachments

• 5105sway.PNG
    5105sway.PNG
    128.9 KB · Views: 226