JD5075e Air Restriction Indicator

/ JD5075e Air Restriction Indicator #1  

coosa

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5075E; Yanmar 2210BD
I have a 2012 5075e that ran fine when I shut it down a week ago, and wouldn't crank yesterday. When I turn on the key, the air restriction light is on. That light has never been on before in the 10 years I've had it. I put under 100 hrs a year on it, and change the air filters annually. It feels like a safety switch of some type is blocking the starter.

Does anyone know if the air restriction sensor can block the starter? That's something I wouldn't mind bypassing; does anyone know if it is normally closed or open?

Thanks for any help.

/ JD5075e Air Restriction Indicator #2  
I can’t answer your question. I do have a question for you. Have you checked the air filter? I get that you change it on a regular basis but a mouse or some other rodent could have built a nest and plugged it up.

/ JD5075e Air Restriction Indicator #3  
This is all speculation, but:
If you unplug the sensor and the light goes out, that would typically mean the sensor is normally open and closes when there’s restricted air flow. That is, an unplugged switch/sensor is an open switch.
I’d be surprised if it was a starter interlock as there’s no air flow / pressure drop to measure before the engine is cranked.

Check the fuses. These tractors are notorious for having a temp sensor that advances (wired to) the injection pump that fails and shorts out, blowing the fuse, preventing cranking. There’s a few threads here that better describe the problem and part number.
5075E blowing start fuse when turning key
Unplugging the sensor and replacing the fuse gets things going until sensor can be replaced.

Last edited:
   / JD5075e Air Restriction Indicator #4  
IMG_7909.JPG

Picture is blurry, but is this the indication light you see come on (on bottom left of control panel) ?
I just went out to my 5075e to see if it comes on when I turn the key to run.
It came on when I turned it just a “hair” past run, but before the key switch went to the start/crank position and turned over. So, perhaps light coming on (prior to cranking) is normal and unrelated to your problem of tractor not turning over.

Last edited:
   / JD5075e Air Restriction Indicator
Thanks for the replies. Coby, that is the light, and it stays on when I turn the switch to the on position. I guess it's come on as I cranked it before, but it's never stayed on like this. I didn't even know what it meant until I looked it up in the manual. It may very well just be a coincidence and has nothing to do with the real problem.

I checked every fuse with the multimeter and all tested ok. I didn't have a lot of time to work with it, so I am trying to figure out what to test next time. I had heard about the temp sensor being a problem, but wouldn't it have already blown the fuse if it were the issue? I am not much of a mechanic, but the tractor is a long way from a dealer so I usually keep plugging along and figure out the problems.

It had some rat damage back in the winter. The temp gauge wire was eaten in 2 behind the dash, and I was able to repair it. They ruined the turn signal wires, but it never gets on pavement so I let those go. It could be that some other safety sensor was damaged and the last time I used it was when it completely broke loose. It's likely something simple, but I will probably struggle to find it.

Thanks again for the help

Thanks for the replies. Coby, that is the light, and it stays on when I turn the switch to the on position. I guess it's come on as I cranked it before, but it's never stayed on like this. I didn't even know what it meant until I looked it up in the manual. It may very well just be a coincidence and has nothing to do with the real problem.

I checked every fuse with the multimeter and all tested ok. I didn't have a lot of time to work with it, so I am trying to figure out what to test next time. I had heard about the temp sensor being a problem, but wouldn't it have already blown the fuse if it were the issue? I am not much of a mechanic, but the tractor is a long way from a dealer so I usually keep plugging along and figure out the problems.

It had some rat damage back in the winter. The temp gauge wire was eaten in 2 behind the dash, and I was able to repair it. They ruined the turn signal wires, but it never gets on pavement so I let those go. It could be that some other safety sensor was damaged and the last time I used it was when it completely broke loose. It's likely something simple, but I will probably struggle to find it.

Thanks again for the help
It turned out to be the cold start sensor. That's embarrassing on my part because I had tested all the fuses and thought they were all good. My only excuse is that my hearing is bad and I can barely hear the beep on my multimeter; somehow thought I heard it on the starter fuse, but was imagining it. I had my manual with me today and knew which one was the fuse to test, and quickly found that it was blown. It cranks with the sensor disconnected. Thanks again for all the help!

/ JD5075e Air Restriction Indicator #7  
It turned out to be the cold start sensor. That's embarrassing on my part because I had tested all the fuses and thought they were all good. My only excuse is that my hearing is bad and I can barely hear the beep on my multimeter; somehow thought I heard it on the starter fuse, but was imagining it. I had my manual with me today and knew which one was the fuse to test, and quickly found that it was blown. It cranks with the sensor disconnected. Thanks again for all the help!

Seems to be a very common issue for these tractors. Same thing happened to me years ago. Intended on replacing the sensor but so far have not have any issues with it disconnected. Hard to justify replacing something that may fail again if not having issues with it out of service.

Seems to be a very common issue for these tractors. Same thing happened to me years ago. Intended on replacing the sensor but so far have not have any issues with it disconnected. Hard to justify replacing something that may fail again if not having issues with it out of service.
Thanks for the info. I have read conflicting info on that sensor. It works by advancing the timing to make it easier to crank when cold. I've read that not using it results in the timing being advanced all the time , and others have said it's the opposite - the timing is never advanced. It would seem intuitive that it's the latter, but such things often don't work the way I think they would.

Do you know for sure? Is it harder to start with the sensor disconnected? Thanks

/ JD5075e Air Restriction Indicator #9  
I understood it helped start in cold weather. I honestly cannot tell any difference between before and after. I don’t operate my tractor daily and if is an extreme cold weather day I don’t typically have to operate in it. Occasionally I may use it to help with hauling a deer out in the winter, but still have not noticed any difference.

/ JD5075e Air Restriction Indicator #10  
I've had my cold start sensor disconnected for years now (on a 5055e) and have not noticed any problems with it. It doesn't normally get all that cold here either and my climate should be similar to yours so if it is cold I have 2 options. 1) Don't work in the cold and stay inside with a mug of hot chocolate or 2) Use the preheat before starting the engine. I've had fewer problems with starting since I disconnected the sensor.