JD521 Loader on a 1020/301A

/ JD521 Loader on a 1020/301A #1  

1savoy

Gold Member
Tractor
B26, ZD323-60 and JD JX75 currently. Previous: L3800 HST w/ BH77, JD301-A , JD450C Dozer, JD 330, JD F525, Ford 4000, Farmall H
Does any one out there have any thoughts about putting a JD521 or JD541 Loader on a 301A (which is the industrial version of the 1020). John Deere sells mounting brackets for this loader to put them on the older series tractors (20 series).
Thanks for any input anyone has.

/ JD521 Loader on a 1020/301A #2  
I have a 1020 model that I considered for loader work.

However the terrain of my property is hilly and for a few months of the year I have serious wet soil conditions. The 1020's 2 wheel drive doesn't compare to the 4wd on tractors that I've rented or tested, which for me makes me think about a new tractor. Plus the extra weight up front from the FEL will likely sink the 4000lbs+ 1020 deeper into the soil, and I hate getting stuck.

As for adding it to a 300 series, have you looked for a used loader? They are admittedly scare. The 145 loader is meant for 1020's, yours might except a 146. Lots of 148 loaders come up for sale. I have yet to check tractor boneyards for one. But I'm in NY and I have not found anything within a reasonable distance to keep shipping costs down. (I have no truck)

For myself I'm taking the 5k and putting it towards a new tractor, perhaps a 4x10 series. Had a quote on a package that made me even think about selling the 1020. Although I have misgivings about that as the 1020 is so solid, and has been so reliable, and is still young at 1925 hours. BUT I really need 4wd for timber work, hill climbing, and mud slinging.

/ JD521 Loader on a 1020/301A
Thanks for the reply. I agree with the 4wd would be nice. I told myself that I was going to get a 4wd as the next tractor. I have been using a 1962 Ford 4000 with a Case model 60 loader for a couple of years now and have had good luck with it. My property is pretty hilly and parts are real muddy. I tend to have good luck not getting stuck or getting myself out without too much of a struggle. I guess part of it is probably the challenge. The Ford has been great, except for it is not a Deere and the front axle design is weak on the Ford's. This 301a came along and I have always liked this style tractor. I figured for the little it cost I could not go wrong. It is gas and has the reverser, plus the non adjustable front axle which is very heavy duty. I don't think I will have to worry about bent or broken axles or spindles with this one.
My initial thoughts were to put my Case loader on the Deere if I do not find the loader I want. I have a lead on a 145 loader at a dealer close by, but they want $2,500.00 for it. They quoted me $3,700.00 out the door for a 521 loader with the correct mounting brackets for my tractor. I guess the only problem is it needs to be industrial yellow and only comes in green. There was a JD175 loader that just sold on ebay for $993.00 in New Hampshire. I did not bid on it as I do not like the looks of the 175. I will probably put my Case on it as it looks very similar to a JD145 and the dimensions are almost identical. The fabrication I need to do to install should not be too difficult. My other thoughts about the new tractors is I have borrowed my father in laws New Holland a couple of times and I am not totally sold on these light weight tractors. I borrowed it because I needed something fairly small to get in to were I was working. The problem seems to be the 7308 loader could not lift very much and I notice the spec's on quite a few of the new tractors have the same problem. You have to spend quite a bit of money to get into a tractor that can lift a considerable amount. Sorry to ramble on and let me know what you think. Thanks again.

/ JD521 Loader on a 1020/301A #4  
The 521 or 541 will fit with no problems with the correct mounting frames. The 541 is designed for 4wd tractors but they do have more lift height if that is important to you. You will also need either a dual scv or an independent control valve to operate any loader. Be sure to figure that in. The 145, 146, 175, or even a 48 loader will also fit as long as you have the correct mounting brackets. good luck in your search, Used loaders are hard to find.

I rambled on so long before I forgot to say I would keep the 1020 if I were you. If you have the space and do not need the money too bad. These tractors seem to be sought after and hold their value. There is a very good post on tractor shed about these tractors. It was posted by SmallOps 3/31/01. I think it is one of those that you would kick yourself over down the road if you part with it.
I also looked back at the JD175 loader that sold on ebay and it sold for $920.00. Thanks again for the reply.

Thanks for the message. I planned on getting a control valve and trying to mount it under the tractor instead of up on the loader frame. I think there is enough room. I was thinking about fabricating a mechanical joystick, similar to a new JD 790/990. If all else fails I can use a cable operated joystick. One thing I am not sure is if I need a valve with power beyond. I know I need a closed center valve. Also, do you have any recommendations about what brand valve to get. Thanks again.

/ JD521 Loader on a 1020/301A #7  
Hey Savoy. You sound a bit more handy with fabricating than me. And I think you're right about the 1020, I am betting if I let it go, I will regret it.
So I revisited Deere.com and configured what I might need; Does this sound right (retail price, I'm betting as its special order that won't be much give at my dealer).

BASE MACHINE $4,110.00
2081W 521 Standard Loader
For 2WD Tractors, Narrow Tractors and 5105 and 5205 Tractors.

HYDRAULIC HOSES AND COUPLERS $0.00
Select one from this Group

TRACTOR MOUNTING FRAMES ($14.00)
2015 Mounting Frame for 20, 30, 40, 50 and 55 Series 3-Cylinder
and 4-Cylinder Tractors

BALLAST BOX In Base Price
3095 Less Ballast Box

BUCKETS In Base Price
4000 73 In. (1850 mm) Materials Bucket (Green)

BUCKET LEVEL INDICATORS In Base Price
5000 Bucket Level Indicator

Configured Features - Optional

Qty Code Attachment Description Price
1 9015 BW12752 Hood Guard
For 20, 30, 40 and 50 Series Tractors
and 55 Series 3-Cylinder Tractors. $189.00

Qty Code Attachment Description Price
1 9080 BW15115 Tool Box Mounting Bracket $33.00

Configured Features - Accessory

Qty Code Description Price
1 BWA1000 Kit includes the following components:
1 - BW13247 single lever control and valve
1 - BW13782 hoses and parts $869.00

1 BW00441 Mounting Frame
For 20, 30, 40, 50 and 55 Series Utility Tractors. $537.00

Someone had told me once that I should change the trans filter housing to accept the return flow of the ? lines. But my dealer said for light duty I shouldn't worry about it. I can't remember since I last looked at this option a while ago.

Post a pick when you do get something rigged up.

Peter, Thanks for the reply. The listing from JD looks right. All you really need from them is the loader with brackets which list for $4,096.00. The brackets for the 20 series is a $14.00 deduction. The ballast box is extra I believe along with everything else. The heavy duty bucket is probably worth doing for approx $268.00 more. The $869.00 they want for the control valve with joystick and hoses seems pretty pricey. You should take a look at www.princessauto.com and download their catalog. www.norterntool.com also sells control valves and hydraulic parts. There are many local shops that will build the hoses you need for a reasonable price. I want to tie my valve in by the hydraulic filter, but not positive where yet. I have a couple of plugs which looks like were a valve used to be. I have spoken to a few dealers quick about the 521 loader and they all said they would order in the loader with the correct brackets. They all had 521's in stock with the brackets for the 5000 series tractors. The best price without haggling I got was $3,700.00 out the door before tax. I think I can do better than that if I get serious and I should be able to get around the tax end. I think I should be able to buy one for approx $3,300.00 I will let you know if I go that route. I think your 1020 with a 521 loader could do a lot of work for you at a fraction of the cost of a new machine and probably last just as long. Don't get me wrong, I like the new machines, but just have a hard time justifying the cost for me. Someday I will probably get one. I hope to get going on this project soon. I am in Wyoming, NY. If you want let me know if you are close by. My email is rcramer@rochester.rr.com. Thanks again and talk to you later.

/ JD521 Loader on a 1020/301A #9  
For the Record, I purchased the 521 Loader. Had it installed, and also had a ROPS installed.

Its not completely done yet, as I have to do some tire changing, and weight adjustments. But overall its a nice unit, and the joystick is great.

For pictures if you are curious check out;
521 Deere Loader on 1020 Utility, June 2004

/ JD521 Loader on a 1020/301A #10  
I took a look at the photos you posted and saw that the ROPS you added is a folding model. I also have a 1020 with a model 48 loader that has been in the family since 1973 when it was purchased new. The tractor has the original factory John Deere ROPS with a steel canopy. For various reasons, I was trying to find a folding ROPS for it last summer to no avail. I hope you don't mind me asking, but where in the world did you find your new folding ROPS?