JLG LJ500 Little John stand-on mini skid steer

/ JLG LJ500 Little John stand-on mini skid steer #51  
Hey, been really busy lately without much forum time. I have a manual for it, if you send me a PM with your email address I'll forward it to you.

I ended up using regular 10w30 engine oil, as that's what the manual calls for.

As for your machine nearly dying as it gets warm, check spark, check fuel flow too. Make sure it's full of oil, these engines have a low oil switch that'll kill the motor if it runs low.
Yes y'll soon have a PM .

Okej i think i will change to des32 or des 46.

Checked all those things but couldnt find the fault. And also because of the extreme noise of the wisconsin i decided to change to an v-twin. And that partly because of the blackfriday sale 🤣.

Sorry the bad images my camera is not wat it has been 😦

Attachments

• IMG_20220108_100013.jpg
    IMG_20220108_100013.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20220108_100007.jpg
    IMG_20220108_100007.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20220108_095956.jpg
    IMG_20220108_095956.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 160
   / JLG LJ500 Little John stand-on mini skid steer
That's excellent! Aside from compression and timing, you need three things to run. Air, spark, and fuel.

If something is heating up and causing the engine to break up, I'd look toward the coil maybe? With a brand new engine that's odd.

I'd LOVE to put a 20hp Honda on mine, the extra counterbalance would be nice, too! Well done! I sent the manual to your email, hopefully you got it.

/ JLG LJ500 Little John stand-on mini skid steer #53  
I recently acquired this little guy, haven't gotten a chance to work on it yet but figured I'd make a thread about it. Shouldn't need *too* much tinkering to get it going. I know it ran last year, and I did get it to "pop", albeit for just a few seconds. I'll post updates as I find time to mess with it.

I figured, since these are pretty uncommon, borderline rare, and there's not much information on them, that anyone else with info on them, if anybody has one they'd like to share, anything at all to do with the JLG LITTLE JOHN LJ500, post it in here. There used to be a Yahoo Group called [little_John_Rocks] LJ500, but it seems that Yahoo Groups are no longer in existence and it's email chain only. While it may not be a mighty skid steer, it's "useful as a pocket on a shirt" as I've read elsewhere.

Here's a link to the only two threads I could find on here about the LJ500:
arizonian needing help with a rare skid steer
LJ500 Little John 500 manual wanted

control valve squealing on stand up skid steer

And a touch of good information from one of the above threads:

I'll leave with this picture of when I first got it, had to lift it off with my MF35 Utility Loader, as it doesn't run yet:

Last but not least- Gordoninvt emailed me the manual for this machine. If anyone wants it, I'll be happy to share. PM me your email address and I can send it. I printed the entire file, then re-scanned it as a searchable document. The searchable document is too large to send via email. I may be able to put it in a zip folder and we could try that way but no guarantee. Otherwise, you can send me a small flash drive and I can just copy the file and send back. Whatever. It's 50.1MB.
I have had one of these little "critters" since 2001 and have had no complaints or problems to speak of. It works well and turns on a dime. However over the past few years I have acquired a couple of Kubota tractors to which I have dedicated most of my time and the little guy has become somewhat of an ignored "step-child". The hydraulic controls are Kubota parts, but I have yet to have any problem with them. Have been seriously thinking about selling it, since it mostly sits idle in my barn.

I have had one of these little "critters" since 2001 and have had no complaints or problems to speak of. It works well and turns on a dime. However over the past few years I have acquired a couple of Kubota tractors to which I have dedicated most of my time and the little guy has become somewhat of an ignored "step-child". The hydraulic controls are Kubota parts, but I have yet to have any problem with them. Have been seriously thinking about selling it, since it mostly sits idle in my barn.

Yeah, they're pretty neat. I find that instead of using it for myself that I end up trailering it someplace else to use it for whatever reason. Or if I have to fit into a tight area. It doesn't get used often, but when it does it renews my affection for it.

Snag a pic and post if if you get a chance. It's always neat to see these things. I honestly wouldn't even know what to sell one for, there's really no baseline.

/ JLG LJ500 Little John stand-on mini skid steer #55  
Any chance I could get a copy of the manual for this machine I just purchased one and it runs pretty well binds occasionally when turning going to flush hydraulic system out and put fresh 10-40 In

Any chance I could get a copy of the manual for this machine I just purchased one and it runs pretty well binds occasionally when turning going to flush hydraulic system out and put fresh 10-40 In
Send me your email address through Private Messages. I'll forward it on to you.

Interesting, there's an LJ-500 on ebay right now for sale in Vermont for... *gulp* $5500.

Makes me feel like I got a damn good deal at $300. :)

Note- the one in the eBay listing is missing the auto-leveling linkage for the bucket. It's modified for a different cylinder. Looks to be done well enough, but I like the auto-leveling feature, it's useful on something so small and jerky.

/ JLG LJ500 Little John stand-on mini skid steer #58  
just of curiosity the spec's, IE: engine size, pump size, wheel motor size, found one on facebook marketplace but the owner didnt know the spec's

just of curiosity the spec's, IE: engine size, pump size, wheel motor size, found one on facebook marketplace but the owner didnt know the spec's

It's got an 11hp Wisconsin Robin single cylinder, pump is a Webster, 3 section, gear type. Drive motors are Nichols 12.9 cubic inch, Duke Control vavles, open center, 2500psi relief. Machine weighs about 1200lbs.

From what I can gather, the pump can flow up to around 9gpm, maybe a little more depending how the machine is outfitted with priority vavles. Max lift capacity is about 500lbs, though I've lifted significantly more than that.

/ JLG LJ500 Little John stand-on mini skid steer #60  
OP...read your thread with great interest. I have one of these little beasts, for about 5 years now. Got the manuals from various sources. However, the control valves are starting to 'dribble' a bit. Do you, or anyone here know of a source for a direct replacement for them? I'm not a hydraulics guru, so not sure of what specs to look for since the manual is lacking in that area.
Thanks for any knowledge you can provide.