John Deere 1010 Gas. To buy or stay away from it

/ John Deere 1010 Gas. To buy or stay away from it #1  

Jlelectric

Tractor
John Deere 4300; Bobcat T300; Bobcat 3400D
Found a John Deere 1010 Gas in decent shape for $1000. I think it is a row crop. Thoughts?

/ John Deere 1010 Gas. To buy or stay away from it #2  
Not known to be good runners, and not real supportive of John Deere traditional quality. Jumped their 40 and 420 line of 2-cyl upright engines with good standing, over to the new line of more cylinders. Took awhile to make that transfer for a good engine in the small tractors.

Most of the tractor is a 4 cyl engine in the 420/430 tractor. The basic tractor thus is tried and true.
The diesel engine, if you do a google search here, didn't fare too well. Maybe the gas engine was better.

And check out the "similar threads" at the bottom of the page here.

/ John Deere 1010 Gas. To buy or stay away from it #3  
1010 gasoline engines weren't near as problematic as their diesel counterparts. The engine do have 4 piston liners attached to a deck plate & the mechanical brakes left a little to be desired. For $1000 I'd take a chance. IIRC 1010 rowcrop models are more rare than utility models.

/ John Deere 1010 Gas. To buy or stay away from it #4  
I have had a 1010W for several years now that is a gas tractor. When I was traveling to the auction I told myself that if the clutch felt good and it shifted well then it would be GAME ON. I always arrive at an auction early. still have several number 1 bid tickets. On this day I arrived early enough to hear the tractors being started and let run for quite a while. While looking closely at the 1010w I asked one of the auction workers what he knew about it, he said they used it all week to get everything else in place to be sold, then he said "it's a good one". Almost got it with one bid, but did get it on my second bid, still the cheapest one I have in the barn. I grew up with a 1010 special and a 2010 both gas tractors and have no fear of them.

NOAW1097.JPG