John Deere 1026 hydraulic fluid

/ John Deere 1026 hydraulic fluid #1  

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 1016, FEL, 60"MMM
I prolly have a dumb question but the amount of money John Deere charges for regular maintenance I think I can do it myself after watching some you Tube Videos. I was watching them change the transmission fluid, and they also was changing the filter for the hydraulic fluid and cleaned out the suction screen. When you go to fill up the transmission does that cover the hydraulic fluid too? It said on the video it takes 13 quarts. I will be asking John Deere when I buy my supplies how much fluid it takes. I own a John Deere 1026r.

/ John Deere 1026 hydraulic fluid #2  
Yes transmission and hydraulics are a shared system. Take low viscosity by-guard

/ John Deere 1026 hydraulic fluid #3  
Meaning John Deere Low Viscosity Hy-Gard transmission and hydraulic oil. ;)

And it is about 13 quarts according to the operators manual.

/ John Deere 1026 hydraulic fluid #5  
You just need low viscosity hydraulic oil.

/ John Deere 1026 hydraulic fluid #6  
Remember that the 13 quarts is the total capacity... when you drain and then replace the filter (more drainage) there is still going to be some hydraulic oil in there.

You can probably put 11 quarts straight in. Then start adding the next quart bit by bit, checking the dipstick as it settles down. Once you're close, leave it until the next day and check the level, adding if required.

When you're in getting your Hy-Guard and filter, check with one of your dealership's mechanics as to the type of tool required to remove the hydraulic filter cap... it can make the whole job easier. In fact, ask the mechanic what size socket you'll need for the drain plug/bolt, it'll save you time going back & forth trying different ones 'til you find the right one.

Also, pick up a couple of cheap plastic storage containers (you may refer to them as 'totes') and use them to collect the old oil as it comes out = much easier to manoeuvre.

I've found that, after running your tractor around for an hour IOT warm the hydraulic oil up, park your rig on a level area. Open the drain plug first ('tote' in place). Once it's draining, unscrew the filling cap = faster drain. [go have a drink and come back in 20 minutes] Then unscrew the filter cap (2nd 'tote in place) and more oil will drain. Remove the old filter and CHECK IT for foreign objects/metal filings. Check and clean the screen.

No problems? Then put the new filter in and replace the cap snugly. Replace the drain plug/bolt and proceed to fill up with new oil as I described above.

All done. Have another drink or two. :drink: Easy-peasy.

/ John Deere 1026 hydraulic fluid #7  
Remember that the 13 quarts is the total capacity... when you drain and then replace the filter (more drainage) there is still going to be some hydraulic oil in there.

You can probably put 11 quarts straight in. Then start adding the next quart bit by bit, checking the dipstick as it settles down. Once you're close, leave it until the next day and check the level, adding if required.

When you're in getting your Hy-Guard and filter, check with one of your dealership's mechanics as to the type of tool required to remove the hydraulic filter cap... it can make the whole job easier. In fact, ask the mechanic what size socket you'll need for the drain plug/bolt, it'll save you time going back & forth trying different ones 'til you find the right one.

Also, pick up a couple of cheap plastic storage containers (you may refer to them as 'totes') and use them to collect the old oil as it comes out = much easier to manoeuvre.

I've found that, after running your tractor around for an hour IOT warm the hydraulic oil up, park your rig on a level area. Open the drain plug first ('tote' in place). Once it's draining, unscrew the filling cap = faster drain. [go have a drink and come back in 20 minutes] Then unscrew the filter cap (2nd 'tote in place) and more oil will drain. Remove the old filter and CHECK IT for foreign objects/metal filings. Check and clean the screen.

No problems? Then put the new filter in and replace the cap snugly. Replace the drain plug/bolt and proceed to fill up with new oil as I described above.

All done. Have another drink or two. :drink: Easy-peasy.

And don't forget to put oil on orings before putting filter on. Will make your next change easy to get filters off