John Deere 285 - no starting, but, lots of clicking... and some other oddities

/ John Deere 285 - no starting, but, lots of clicking... and some other oddities #1  

jpilk99

Gold Member
Tractor
1983 Ford 1700, 4WD, 770 Loader, Woods backhoe, Woods brush hog,etc.
Working on this JD 285 and it won't start. Has new battery, fully charged - showing 12.5v. When I turn the key, I hear fast-paced 'clicking'. Doesn't sound like typical solenoid clicking, but, faster. Sounds like it's coming from up above the battery, behind the dashboard guages. Very strange, (which makes me think my ignition switch may be junk), is that --- with the key OFF, I have 12.5V at the big ol' POS terminal of the starter/solenoid. When I turn the key ON, it drops to 3.1 immediately, then bottoms out at 2.5 and stays there. Turn key back to OFF and it goes back to 12.5.

Here's a Youtube of the clicking:

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I'm going to search for "JD 285 ignition switch testing" in the meantime. Thanks in advance.

Jay

/ John Deere 285 - no starting, but, lots of clicking... and some other oddities #2  
Those voltage readings indicate to me you have a bad "new" battery. 12.5 volts is only about 80% charged. Charge the battery up to greater than 12.6 volts and have the battery load tested.

/ John Deere 285 - no starting, but, lots of clicking... and some other oddities
Those voltage readings indicate to me you have a bad "new" battery. 12.5 volts is only about 80% charged. Charge the battery up to greater than 12.6 volts and have the battery load tested.
I'll charge the battery as you mention. Thank you.

/ John Deere 285 - no starting, but, lots of clicking... and some other oddities
Bad ground or dirty connection causing voltage drop?
Thanks RustyA. Are you thinking bad ground at the battery, the starter, or some other ground?

I started typing a question back to JayDee325, but, as I did - a little light went off over my head shining a light on my stupidity. The question was: Why am I getting a full 12.5 at the starter with the key off... A full 12.5 ON THE OTHER END OF THE BIG OL' POS CABLE....??? Duh!!! It's connected to the POS of the battery (I'm such a dolt sometimes). It's when I turn the key that the solenoid "does it's thing" and closes the circuit to Allow the full 12.5v to go coursing through to the actual starter armature and crank over the engine, (basically), right??

/ John Deere 285 - no starting, but, lots of clicking... and some other oddities #6  
Looks pretty wet in the video - Raining?
Is your ignition switch full of water?

Looks pretty wet in the video - Raining?
Is your ignition switch full of water?
No. Dry as a bone. As it was yesterday in the bright sunshine with the same "scenario" going on :)

/ John Deere 285 - no starting, but, lots of clicking... and some other oddities #8  
Thanks RustyA. Are you thinking bad ground at the battery, the starter, or some other ground?

I started typing a question back to JayDee325, but, as I did - a little light went off over my head shining a light on my stupidity. The question was: Why am I getting a full 12.5 at the starter with the key off... A full 12.5 ON THE OTHER END OF THE BIG OL' POS CABLE....??? Duh!!! It's connected to the POS of the battery (I'm such a dolt sometimes). It's when I turn the key that the solenoid "does it's thing" and closes the circuit to Allow the full 12.5v to go coursing through to the actual starter armature and crank over the engine, (basically), right??
It appears you have the pre-engaged type of starter. Hence the reading of Battery voltage at the solenoid terminal.

The buzzing usually indicates, i my experience, a flat battery,

Try a jump-start or replace the battery. ?

It appears you have the pre-engaged type of starter. Hence the reading of Battery voltage at the solenoid terminal.

The buzzing usually indicates, i my experience, a flat battery,

Try a jump-start or replace the battery. ?
Thank you.

/ John Deere 285 - no starting, but, lots of clicking... and some other oddities #10  
from what you are saying you have 2.5v at the starter post from the battery + post with the key on.

pull and clean the battery cables from the battery. insure they make great contact and are tight when reassembled.

retest key on voltage again at the same place on the starter. if 2.5ish volts..... test voltage between the battery posts + and -
leave tester on the battery and turn the key on. if still 2.5ish volts you have a bad battery. if 12.5 to 11.5 then you have a bad ground connection along the ground cable.

if it were a key issue just turning the key on the voltage at the + on the starter should not change much.