John Deere 401C TLB Questions...

/ John Deere 401C TLB Questions... #1  

TBigLug

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 401C
IMG_20120824_155634.jpg

Just picked up a new to me backhoe. Got some questions from the John Deere experts on the board.

*I know it's based on the 2030 ag tractor so which parts interchange and which ones don't?

*Is there an adjustment for the clutch? It only engages when you get to the last 1/2" of travel. Either it slips or the tranny slipped when I was loading it. Got half way up the ramps, acted like it slipped into neutral, rolled back a foot then reengaged and went forward. This was at a dead idle.

*Where can I find a downloadable manual for this machine? I like something in pdf format so I can store it on my phone and refer to it in the field. I'd like to find an Operator's, Service and Parts manuals (lol, in about that order).

*Which BH buckets interchange?

I'm gonna have a ton more questions and pictures to come once I get out and try and dig with it tomorrow morning. Won't be a rock safe out in these fields! lol

/ John Deere 401C TLB Questions... #3  
Does it have the reverser trans? The slipping may have been low hydraulic fluid, it will have a forward and reverse clutch pack if it has a reverser. My JD 2030 has the HI-LO and if it gets low on fluid or going up a steep hill the clutch pack for the HI-LO will slip.

/ John Deere 401C TLB Questions...
I do not. I kept it for a year or two working around the farm until I got my projects all done than ended up selling it. Now I down/up graded to a skid loader with a backhoe attachment, lol. 20230104_152712.jpg

It was an awesome machine. It was big enough to do all the work I needed but not so big I couldn't haul it around. It was efficient on fuel and didn't seem to burn through the diesel too bad. Controls were good and had good air flow through the cab. There are definitely days I wish I still had it.

/ John Deere 401C TLB Questions... #8  
It was an awesome machine. It was big enough to do all the work I needed but not so big I couldn't haul it around. It was efficient on fuel and didn't seem to burn through the diesel too bad. Controls were good and had good air flow through the cab. There are definitely days I wish I still had it.
That’s encouraging. I use to own a J.D. 300B for a short time. Very similar, little brother. Great workhorse. Then sold it after I got some projects done. Missed it as well. I just purchased a 401C that should be arriving tomorrow. Unfortunately I have to work so won’t get to use it until Monday earliest. It’s getting colder so I have to get a plug in heater installed ASAP! Did that on the 300B. What a difference those heaters have made on my older diesels starting. Just plug in for a few hours and the growling begins!

That's awesome, mine was a great cold starter. Spent alot of time clearing snow. Where did you buy yours from? I'd crack up if it ended up being my old one, lol. Not too many around.

/ John Deere 401C TLB Questions... #10  
That's awesome, mine was a great cold starter. Spent alot of time clearing snow. Where did you buy yours from? I'd crack up if it ended up being my old one, lol. Not too many around.
Do you remember how many hours were on yours when you sold it? Nice shape?