John Deere 4600 and 5520 Fuel Gauge Problems

/ John Deere 4600 and 5520 Fuel Gauge Problems #1  

glcaines

Tractor
JD 4600, JD 5520
I have a JD 2003 5520 cab tractor that the fuel gauge went bad on several years ago. When empty, the gauge reads full and when full the gauge reads way past full. I also have a 2000 JD 4600 that developed the same problem today. I went to a JD dealer about the problem on the 5520 tractor several years ago, and they told me to forget having it repaired as the cost would be somewhere between $750 and $1000 because the whole instrument cluster had to be replaced. They also told me the new replacement would likely fail just like the old one in a few years. They told me this was a common problem. They also told me that they weren't repairable. Does anyone know what exactly fails in the instrument cluster? I might try to repair it myself with some information. All of the other gauges work fine on both tractors. Alternatively, does anyone know of a repair facility that can fix these?

It isn't that much of a problem for the JD 4600 because you can remove the fuel cap and tell the fuel level. For the JD 5520, this isn't possible.

/ John Deere 4600 and 5520 Fuel Gauge Problems
Thanks for the tip! No, I didn't look on Ebay.