John Deere 4720 with a mmm mid mount mower belly mower It can be done

/ John Deere 4720 with a mmm mid mount mower belly mower It can be done #1  

Nick359

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4720
I am going to start off this post with a bit of discontent. I was given advise that is was impossible or unfeasible to put a mid mower on a 4x20 4000 twenty series tractor. Before I purchased my new to me JD 4720, I had a 955 with r4s, a 60" deck, and a backhoe. Before that I had a 755 that I put a turbo on to climb the hills that I mowed. I also had a skid steer. I wanted to buy some turf tires and a 72" deck for the 955. I priced out new wheels and turf tires, as well as a used 72" deck. I could not find used tires and wheels after two years of looking. A used 72" deck sells for around a grand in my area. I thought I would be better off buying a used zero turn, but I couldn't get rid of the tractor because I mow steep hills and side hills that a zero can't touch as well as I run a 68" rototiller and a brush hog from time to time.
One day I came up with a plan. I would sell all my specific use machines and buy the decathelete of tractors to replace them all. A decathele is good at everything, but not great at anything. I got a college scholarship to run track, so I mean no disrespect to decatheletes. I just wanted one machine that could do everything. It might not be the fastests at every task, but could do everything I wanted it to do. I needed a tractor that had the lifting capacity of a skid steer with a belly mower. I would usually run across the yard with a skid steer that had Grouser tracks, so the foot print on the yard was not an issue. After some research, and a hot day of mowing with the 955, decided I needed a cab with AC and heat too. I was set on a 3000 or 4000 series Deere. I could not find any other color that had hydrostatic drive with the capacities and options I wanted. To make a long story shorter, I found a used 2009 4720 with 2242 hours that was $3,500 over what I made selling off my other equipment.
The next step was finding a mid mount mower and a mid pto. After a brief conversation with my local JD dealer, the mid pto was ordered. It was around $700, and he dropped it off. I located a mower deck off of a 4320 that included all the mounts. I was well on my way to do the unthinkable. I was about to have a 4300 pound 66 horse power lawnmower. The good news is I did not have to fabricate a turbo like I had to do with the 755 to climb the hills in the back yard.
After some head scratching and a few choice words, I had the 4720 serviced and the mower mounted underneith the machine. If you park the tractor on four old school ramps, it allowes you to put a 5 gallon pails under it to drain the 10 gallons of JD low vis hygard out.
I just returned from mowing the yard around the house and the acreage out back. I was going to borrow a 7 foot brushog from my neighbor to cut the grass I let go this year, but the new 4720 was able to cut hay tall grass with ease with the belly mower. I had to cut it high then come back, but I thought I would have to hook up a brushhog.
I know this thread is worthless without pic, so they are to follow. The 4720 with a 72" deck is compairable to a 955 with a 60" deck. Both decks cover the wheels, you just have to be careful. It was also awesome cutting with AC and no dust, bugs, or grass getting on me.

/ John Deere 4720 with a mmm mid mount mower belly mower It can be done
DSCN3964.JPGDSCN3965.JPGDSCN3967.JPGDSCN3940.JPGDSCN3956.JPG

DSCN3952.JPGDSCN3943.JPGDSCN3966.JPG

/ John Deere 4720 with a mmm mid mount mower belly mower It can be done #4  
Who told you it was impossible to do? As long as a mid PTO can be added and other 4000 series had a MMM it should be doable as you proved. Maybe JD did not think anyone would add a MMM to a 66HP machine???. A 4520 probably would have worked too, if you found one at a better price first.

I was pretty specific with what I wanted. I wanted front hydraulics, two rear remotes, a power beyond, and a self leveling loader. I could order all those parts individually and install them, but this tractor had everything. The front hydraulics run off of a third rear remote with a switch on the loader valve to control it. I am going to order a root rake or root grapple for the front to help with pulling logs out of the woods. I was considering 4320s and up, but I found this tractor with all the hydraulics two hours away from the house.

Many internet heroes said it can't be done. The mower won't fit on some of the new models, I think it is after the new emissions. Its too heavy too bulky, doesn't have a drive over deck, etc. You also can't put the rear tires in the wide position with the deck on the tractor.

My only experience with CUTs was the 755 and 955 I had. It was easier to put the deck on the 4720 than the 955. The 755 was the hardest because of the shorter wheel base. I did turn the back wheels sideways, but I did not take off the front wheel of the deck. The new deck seemed to roll better on the concrete than the old one. They also weight about the same, so the old deck was built heavier than the new one.

With the R4 tires the deck will not go to transport position. There are some holes that line up so you can put a pin in to hold up the deck when using the three point. Even though it doesn't go to the transport position, the deck is higher off the ground than the 955.

It was very difficult to find info on the internet on the 4x00 series with a mower, so I hope someone finds this information useful. It took about an hour to put on the mid pto. There are also plenty of used decks out there, so a lot of people might prefer the drive over. If the 3000 series could pick up 1500 pounds I probably would have got one of those.

/ John Deere 4720 with a mmm mid mount mower belly mower It can be done #6  
The mid PTO option, and MMM was always available on the 4x20 tractors. In fact , the MMM was the ONLY thing you could use the mid pto for!
I always felt that the 4720 at 66hp was just too big, heavy, and wide for a mere 72 inch deck.
It seemed to me that they should have had a drive over 84inch deck for that model.

/ John Deere 4720 with a mmm mid mount mower belly mower It can be done #7  
What’s the maximum cut height of your setup?

I just measured at the blade and its 7 3/4" When I dropped it to the floor its around 2". I have R4s and I have some more room to go higher, but I don't want the tires hitting the deck so I gave it some wiggle room. I don't run the deck with the wheels on the ground. I could probably lower it if I took out some stops out. I think the previous owner of the deck ran with the tires at the wide setting, because the rear gauge wheels have been rewelded back on the deck. I could probably get the blade height another inch higher if I wanted to, but it suits me well as is.

The mid PTO option, and MMM was always available on the 4x20 tractors. In fact , the MMM was the ONLY thing you could use the mid pto for!
I always felt that the 4720 at 66hp was just too big, heavy, and wide for a mere 72 inch deck.
It seemed to me that they should have had a drive over 84inch deck for that model.

I would love to have an 84" drive over, but this tractor was the best one I could find to suit my needs. I think in the future you might see and offset 60" or 72" 3 point hydraulically controlled deck. I have to see how the tractor runs the batwing and how well the batwing cuts. There may also be a 42" pull behind deck with a bad engine that might end up vertical with a hydro motor off the bucket to keeps the woods off the cab. Only time will tell....

/ John Deere 4720 with a mmm mid mount mower belly mower It can be done #10  
I would love to have an 84" drive over, but this tractor was the best one I could find to suit my needs. I think in the future you might see and offset 60" or 72" 3 point hydraulically controlled deck. I have to see how the tractor runs the batwing and how well the batwing cuts. There may also be a 42" pull behind deck with a bad engine that might end up vertical with a hydro motor off the bucket to keeps the woods off the cab. Only time will tell....

Do you have a batwing finish mower? Or bush cutter? How big 12'? 15'?

Trail trimming is a never ending task for me.