John deere 535 round baler questions

/ John deere 535 round baler questions #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
Does anyone have experience with the John deere 535 with net wrap? My friend has 1 and would do my rounds as I needed them but he is considering selling out. I know it needs a new tire but am not sure what to look at on it or even a good price for it. He just mentioned this to me yesterday so we haven't discussed price yet but he is looking at selling the baler and a 2 year old Tarrup bale wrapper.

/ John deere 535 round baler questions #2  
JD has made only a few improvements on their rd balers with the regular pick up's from the X30-X67 balers. If hyd tension is in good condition a 535 when operated correctly will make a tight bale of hay. I think the later net wrap attachments are better but the older net wrap attachment is alright. I like electric tie/wrap better on the later models than the hyd type the 535 has. Do side walls of baler have any holes worn in them?

/ John deere 535 round baler questions
I'm not sure, haven't inspected it yet, I will take notice of the sidewalls when I do. Thanks for the reply

/ John deere 535 round baler questions #4  
i cant help with net wrap, but i have a 535 baler that's kicks out a 1000 bales a year. its been reliable so i am still running it.

/ John deere 535 round baler questions #5  
Along with sidewalls also pay close attention to the condition of drive rolls (is there lots of rubber left), belts (new oem belts have 3 ledges, or look at a new baler somewhere for comp), chains and sprockets and pickup condition (stripper cond, cam and bearing condition). Just drive rolls and belts alone can drop the value of a 535 to only about 1 to 1.5k in our part of the country. Can't offer much help either on surface wrap for this machine it was not as common until 6 series balers. Less wrap, a good one here is worth around 3.5 - 5k tops. Otherwise this was a very good baler and there is really no parts issues as far as availability is concerned.

/ John deere 535 round baler questions #6  
My dad has a 535 that never stops working. Every 5 years or so during the winter when the dealer runs specials, he takes it in and they go over it top to bottom. This past time was $1300. Not bad considering the price of a new one.