john deere 5420 fuel injection pump

/ john deere 5420 fuel injection pump
Thanks, I'll take the cover off today.

/ john deere 5420 fuel injection pump #12  
DOESNT it have the 5 sided tamper proof torx screws.??

Yes, it does. amazon to the rescue. Top is off and there it rust on all steel parts. I have been using off road diesel fuel, does then red dyed fuel have no rust prevention at all? The 301a i brought up from Florida was always run on regular diesel and never showed a hint of rust in the fuel system. I rebuilt the injection pump in it about 5 years ago and it was clean and shining inside.

/ john deere 5420 fuel injection pump #14  
Additives are left up to the end user.. PERIOD..

Additives are left up to the end user.. PERIOD..
correction: it does have a magnet coil on the bottom but the wires are tied up, and not plugged in.

/ john deere 5420 fuel injection pump #16  
They go to the radiator neck temp. sensor for a cold start solenoid on the pump..
The sensor is a very weak spot.. when it shorts out, it blows the fuse for the shut off solenoid..
The easy fix is unplug it and replace the fuse and off u go.
If u want it fixed, your local JD dealer will have a handful of the temp sensors in stock..
It’s not needed if ur in a warmer climate..
If ur in a colder climate ur gonna want it for colder starts..

They go to the radiator neck temp. sensor for a cold start solenoid on the pump..
The sensor is a very weak spot.. when it shorts out, it blows the fuse for the shut off solenoid..
The easy fix is unplug it and replace the fuse and off u go.
If u want it fixed, your local JD dealer will have a handful of the temp sensors in stock..
It’s not needed if ur in a warmer climate..
If ur in a colder climate ur gonna want it for colder starts..
Good information. I'm in the middle of Kentucky and had no trouble last winter. I will leave it unplugged . My instruction paper is missing torque value for roller retainer leaf spring. specification dimension for maximum roller to roller is also hard to find. my pump is a
db2 435 - 5354

/ john deere 5420 fuel injection pump #18  
The leaf spring doesn’t have a torque.. that’s the screw for max fuel delivery..

The leaf spring doesn’t have a torque.. that’s the screw for max fuel delivery..
I see. It limits the roller movement. I set it for the specified dimension while giving it air pressure.
Now i need to find torque for the delivery valve. It feels like the stop is bottomed out on the delivery valve before the plug is flush.

/ john deere 5420 fuel injection pump #20  
The stop bottoms out in the ROTOR.. it should never touch the dv..
Btw. U HAVE TO USE A NEW STOP ..