john Deere 650 Oil Capacity

/ john Deere 650 Oil Capacity #1  

Bob Ha

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TN75, Kubota M9960, Kubota M7040, NH T4.85
Just bought a 1989 JD 650 for the garden and finish mowing and it needs the oil changed. I haven't had a chance to get a manual yet so I don't know the oil capacity. I seen on the net someone said 2.6 quarts but unsure. Can anyone verify this? thanks, Bob

/ john Deere 650 Oil Capacity #2  
That's a pretty old tractor...might be difficult getting a manual, but good luck!
As far as the oil capacity, I suggest you contact your local Deere dealer's service dept. They probably have a manual and can provide the capacity.
You'll want a filter anyway, so a visit to the dealer might be a better option.
If the dealer doesn't have the information (which would really surprise me), check the oil level...if it's filled to the correct level (on the dipstick), find an empty 1 quart container and go ahead and drain it in a clean pan (but NOT the 1 quart container). Then you can determine how much oil you've drained using the 1 quart container (pour the used oil in the container, then empty the 1 quart container into another pan or whatever you intend to use to dispose of the oil.
Just keep track of how many quarts...and write that down for future reference.

/ john Deere 650 Oil Capacity
Roy, Thanks for the response. My JD dealer is close to worthless so hoping to get the info here. If not then I will do it the way you suggested. I have a manual on the way that was purchased on ebay but I'm a little impatient. You can almost find anything there. thanks!

/ john Deere 650 Oil Capacity #4  
Here is the link for the JD650 on tractordata.

TractorData.com John Deere 650 tractor information

According to their info, it has a Yanmar 2T80 engine. I did try and google that, but wasn't able to find the oil capacity for it. Maybe someone else can provide that, but the other info on their site is still good to know.

Btw, I found this interesting.... you state that your 650 is a 1989 model, yet the serial numbers listed on their site do not go beyond 1988??? I suggest you check your serial number against their list and see if it might actually be an earlier model than you think it is. Good luck.

/ john Deere 650 Oil Capacity #5  
Being a new owner of a '83 JD650, thought I'd chime in on this old thread since I'm in the same boat waiting for my manuals.

Tractor data now lists 2.5 quarts oil for the engine and 14 quarts for the transmission.

Bob Ha, still got the JD650? Did you figure out what the model year is? Put me on your friend list!

/ john Deere 650 Oil Capacity #6  
Just bought a 1989 JD 650 for the garden and finish mowing and it needs the oil changed. I haven't had a chance to get a manual yet so I don't know the oil capacity. I seen on the net someone said 2.6 quarts but unsure. Can anyone verify this? thanks, Bob
I have a 1983 yanmar diesel. it holds 2.5 qts