John Deere 820 pitted hydraulic line

/ John Deere 820 pitted hydraulic line #1  

2345joes

Tractor
John Deere 820
IMG_7645.jpg

I was surprised that that the pitted line was the one with the leak (not the patched one). Is it typical to see this much foaming for a line leak?

Last edited:
   / John Deere 820 pitted hydraulic line #2  
Water in the reservoir?

/ John Deere 820 pitted hydraulic line #3  
Ditto on water in hyd oil. Water in hyd system is very detrimental to tractors brake linings. I recommend checking/cleaning trans oil screen when hyd oil is changed.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-25 090746.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-25 090746.png
    139 KB · Views: 45
   / John Deere 820 pitted hydraulic line
Would one check by opening the drain plugs to see if there is water at the bottom of the case? The hydraulic fluid was changed spring 2021.

/ John Deere 820 pitted hydraulic line #5  
One is not surprised the 'pitted' line is leaking. It looks like a colander waiting to happen.

One would replace the pipework... drain all the oil possible... Change the filters... Clean the screens... Operate all rams and steering....

Repeat the above...

Cheak and repeat as often as necessary until clear oil is observed.

/ John Deere 820 pitted hydraulic line #6  
Would one check by opening the drain plugs to see if there is water at the bottom of the case? The hydraulic fluid was changed spring 2021.
Some types of hyd oil won't allow moisture to separate from the oil when oil is cool.

You can put a small amount of your tractors hyd oil in your wife's skillet then place skillet on her cook stove & turn on the heat. If hyd oil crackles when heated it contains H20. I suggest to perform this test while your wife is away from home!

I suggest to check condition of trans shifter boots & be sure breather in hyd oil filler cap behind seat isn't clogged.

/ John Deere 820 pitted hydraulic line #7  
Looks to me like the unit has spent a hard life sitting out in the weather with minimal care. Replace the lines and get better with taking care of it, like changing fluids more often, filters too. Learned long ago, the better you take care of your equipment, the better it takes care of you.

/ John Deere 820 pitted hydraulic line #8  
Looks like it just got it's first washing.