John Deere Commercial Mower: What's it worth?

/ John Deere Commercial Mower: What's it worth? #1  

Will_C

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560, Toro 52" and 60" ZTRs, Kubota RTV 900
John Deere Commercial Mower: What\'s it worth?

I thought some of you guys could give me an idea about this. A close friend has a 13hp, 36" deck JD commercial walk behind mower. It was bought last summer and has 20-30 hours use on it. His wife has decided that she wants to do the lawn mowing, but she wants a rider. My friend can't get a dealer that is interested in taking the machine in on trade, they are recommending that he sell it outright (he is looking at spending 3-4000 on a rider.)
He paid $2300 last July for the mower. Here's my question: what do you think would be a reasonable price for it? Keep in mind, he is a friend. On the other hand, while I can use the mower for some work close to the house and a couple of lawns I do for hire, I'm not actively looking to buy. It would have to be a good deal for me . /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Thanks for reading this long post, and give some numbers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Will

/ John Deere Commercial Mower: What's it worth? #2  
Re: John Deere Commercial Mower: What\'s it worth?

Will...

What's the model? Is it the GS30?

With the low hours on it and assuming nothing else is wrong, a decent deal would be $2K. A good deal about $1,600-1,700.

Oops....sorry Will. I was just thinking in reverse here. Above prices are if I was the buyer. With your friend being the seller a decent deal would be $1,600-1,700, a good deal being $2K, and a hoot if he met someone offering more than $2,300. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

...Bob

/ John Deere Commercial Mower: What's it worth? #3  

With that low of hours the deere stuff usually holds its value very well. If you really don't want it I wouldn't buy it. I would say with only 20-30 hours you aren't looking at much more than a 20% drop in price, maybe 30% if you were desperate. And then again it's going to depend on how much off of list he got it for. If he payed full list I would say 30-maybe even 40% off. If he got a good deal when he bought it at $2300 then probably around 20%.

/ John Deere Commercial Mower: What's it worth? #4  

I would have your friend try another dealer. Some dealers don't like trades at all where others are more than willing to dicker with the trade.

/ John Deere Commercial Mower: What's it worth?

Bob, It is the GS30 model.
Doc, The JD website has the MSRP at $2499, so the $2300 represents a discounted price.
Based on your responses, (and what I was thinking), I am going to encourage him to try and sell it around the prices you mentioned. It would be worth $1100-1200 to me, so I would rather see him get more for it. On the other hand, he is kind of a impulsive buyer, so I will make sure that if he can't get more than my offer on a trade or sale, I'll take it ! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifThanks for the help,
Will

/ John Deere Commercial Mower: What's it worth? #6  

That's an extremely good deal for $1,200. If I could find a GS30 at that price, it would be a steal and I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I would think he could get much more for it and if he's patient enough he should go for $1,800-2,000.....about 25-30% off MSRP at least.

/ John Deere Commercial Mower: What's it worth? #7  

Will,

If your friend still has it I would go $1500.00!!! Long way to New York though.

Cliff

/ John Deere Commercial Mower: What's it worth?

He sold in a day for $1650. As much as I would have liked it, I just could not justify that right now. I was glad that he got that amount.
Will