John Deere D130 Lawn Tractor won't start

/ John Deere D130 Lawn Tractor won't start #1  

LodiCal

Tractor
John Deere D130, 790 & 5103 (1968 Massey Ferguson 135 - sold)
Trying to diagnose this.

Tractor worked fine one day and the next, it would not start.

Tractor will not start throttle forward but if I give it a shot of ether, it will fire up but not stay running. I disconnected the fuel line that goes to the carburetor and the fuel pump pumps out fuel. How much fuel should be pumping out?

Also, the solenoid in carburetor bowl clicks and I "assume" it is working properly.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

/ John Deere D130 Lawn Tractor won't start #2  
First idea would be to be sure the PTO switch isn't on. I've been there, done that.

Second, I'd forego any use of the ether. Just cause it may damage something and be a costly (costlier ? ) fix.

Trace down the position of the safety switches. Get some voltage readings as to what is up to snuff and what isn't that should be.

:welcome: to TBN

/ John Deere D130 Lawn Tractor won't start #3  
If it starts with ether it isn't safety switches or pto switches causing the problem. From what you have posted you are not getting fuel through the carb. I would take it off clean it fully and see if that solves your problem. I would also recommend you use a fuel stabilizer in all your gasoline small engines.

/ John Deere D130 Lawn Tractor won't start #4  
Sometimes the top of the fuel cap will get clogged with mud etc. Just make sure its clear. Maybe change the plug, run some seafoam through it.
It could be one of the safety switches, under the seat, the break, pto that went bad i keep a few of those on hand.

/ John Deere D130 Lawn Tractor won't start #5  
Make certain the choke is working. Take off the air cleaner so you can see the choke plate move.
For emission reasons today's engines run lean so getting one started and continuing to run without a choke is next to impossible.
Dave M7040

/ John Deere D130 Lawn Tractor won't start #6  
This is a good one !

I have a JD D130 with 60 hrs and 3 yrs (beyond warranty) and can not get it going - and this is mid season
engine is a B&S 40 twin 22hp

- last run ( 2 week ago) I did run her right out of gas, but filled her, cut another lawn and put her away in the shed - no issues
after 1 week of no use the weekend came and I went to go cut the lawns again - but no go - now we are at the next weekend and here is what has been attempted

-engine cranks well and is on a solar trickle charger
- at first when cranking I would get a back fire
- I thought the backfire was indicative of the single choke/throttle linkage - where the choke was not closing, and therefore leaning out the mixture and allowing the opening for the backfire
I used a mirror to see if it was closing and seems to be - I also stuck some curved needle nose pliers down the air-intake to put pressure on the plate to ensure it was closed while choked
I did not think this was the cause but seemed most likely - as it had cooled off during the week, and where I then went to start it - but as the above did not work I moved on to other possible solutions..

- I had done an air filter and oil & filter change very recently, and now since the no start I have completed the following
- changed fuel filter
- changed spark plugs - - checked spark plugs and both are sparking
- I fired a couple blasts of carb cleaner down the air intake and no start as well...
- checked fuel shut off solenoid on carb and it is actuating perfectly -witnessed it working and also can hear it when I turn the key
- I checked the solenoid twice as a means of seeing that fuel was being delivered (removing the solenoid causes the carburetor to flush out each time)
-I can see that fuel is moving through the fuel filter (clear housing) and I do not believe I have overfilled the engine with oil, as the fuel pump does not seem to be impaired.

I am now at a loss - I believe I am getting Air, Spark and Fuel - on cranking now there is no backfire

All I can think of is that there is some strange safety switch malfunction - but the foot brake and seat mechanism are working and allow me to crank ?? so this is probably not it.

I read somewhere I believe related to a push mower that you can use an ohm reader to check the safety switch - but the safety switches are working on this as it is worked through the foot pedal or seat and I can crank, so they are working ?

I have a gentle property to mow - and have not hit any rocks or branches that would cause blade damage or a shear that would entail removing the flywheel to check for a shear.

As at first I had a backfire and now I don't perhaps I made it go from lean and backfiring due to the choke/throttle linkage to flooded ?? perhaps I will let it air out also put on a real battery charger and try again tomorrow - your thoughts are welcome !!

/ John Deere D130 Lawn Tractor won't start #7  
Pop off flywheel and look at key way.

/ John Deere D130 Lawn Tractor won't start #8  
This is a good one !

I have a JD D130 with 60 hrs and 3 yrs (beyond warranty) and can not get it going - and this is mid season
engine is a B&S 40 twin 22hp

- last run ( 2 week ago) I did run her right out of gas, but filled her, cut another lawn and put her away in the shed - no issues
after 1 week of no use the weekend came and I went to go cut the lawns again - but no go - now we are at the next weekend and here is what has been attempted

-engine cranks well and is on a solar trickle charger
- at first when cranking I would get a back fire
- I thought the backfire was indicative of the single choke/throttle linkage - where the choke was not closing, and therefore leaning out the mixture and allowing the opening for the backfire
I used a mirror to see if it was closing and seems to be - I also stuck some curved needle nose pliers down the air-intake to put pressure on the plate to ensure it was closed while choked
I did not think this was the cause but seemed most likely - as it had cooled off during the week, and where I then went to start it - but as the above did not work I moved on to other possible solutions..

- I had done an air filter and oil & filter change very recently, and now since the no start I have completed the following
- changed fuel filter
- changed spark plugs - - checked spark plugs and both are sparking
- I fired a couple blasts of carb cleaner down the air intake and no start as well...
- checked fuel shut off solenoid on carb and it is actuating perfectly -witnessed it working and also can hear it when I turn the key
- I checked the solenoid twice as a means of seeing that fuel was being delivered (removing the solenoid causes the carburetor to flush out each time)
-I can see that fuel is moving through the fuel filter (clear housing) and I do not believe I have overfilled the engine with oil, as the fuel pump does not seem to be impaired.

I am now at a loss - I believe I am getting Air, Spark and Fuel - on cranking now there is no backfire

All I can think of is that there is some strange safety switch malfunction - but the foot brake and seat mechanism are working and allow me to crank ?? so this is probably not it.

I read somewhere I believe related to a push mower that you can use an ohm reader to check the safety switch - but the safety switches are working on this as it is worked through the foot pedal or seat and I can crank, so they are working ?

I have a gentle property to mow - and have not hit any rocks or branches that would cause blade damage or a shear that would entail removing the flywheel to check for a shear.

As at first I had a backfire and now I don't perhaps I made it go from lean and backfiring due to the choke/throttle linkage to flooded ?? perhaps I will let it air out also put on a real battery charger and try again tomorrow - your thoughts are welcome !!

It would make a lot more sense to start a new thread of your own. Trying to keep track of symptoms on two D130 mowers in the same thread could be confusing.

/ John Deere D130 Lawn Tractor won't start #9  
Thank-you for the replies - I did start another thread as well in Owning/Operating - but jumped in here as well - I see that this is bad etiquette and will try to delete the post here if I can - sorry - flywheel removal is in the plans - thanks

/ John Deere D130 Lawn Tractor won't start
I apologize for my bad manners. Thank you all for your help. Unfortunately I did not realize that my nephew had filled the gas tank with diesel. One would think that this would have been obvious. I wish this was the only story like this I have to tell.