John Deere E180 Two barrel carb choke linkage problem

/ John Deere E180 Two barrel carb choke linkage problem #1  

gsxrsquid

Bronze Member
Engine was popping and sputtering under full throttle. It ran okay on low and medium throttle. I pulled the carb and cleaned it out and installed overhaul kit. On the left side of the carb is a link that goes to a lever for the choke. It has a plastic weight that snaps into the lever. I cannot figure out how to get it into the lever and operate vertically. Any suggestions appreciated. Worst case I can always do a shade tree modification but I like to keep things as stick as possible. Thanks.

/ John Deere E180 Two barrel carb choke linkage problem #2  
Is this the carb you have?

walbroltb_10259661.png

/ John Deere E180 Two barrel carb choke linkage problem
The screwdriver is pointing to the bar the link where the link attaches. The top view of the carb has the connection on the left.
The link has a plastic weight which snaps into the bar. The link needs to be vertical when this happens....

Attachments

• 20220623_115917.jpg
    20220623_115917.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 420
  • 20220623_115951.jpg
    20220623_115951.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 187
  • choke link1.jpg
    choke link1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 165
Last edited:
   / John Deere E180 Two barrel carb choke linkage problem #4  
So does the plate on the end of your choke shaft look like this?
If so, the choke shaft snapped off and the end of it/spring/assembly feel off. (you can compare this pic to the previous pic I posted to see what is missing)

yo44I9b.jpg

This happened to my Exmark and I had to order a Choke Repair kit for it. It came with new choke shaft, a new bushing for it it ride on, gaskets, etc.

No it is different, the shaft is fine. If you look at the link the top of the plasttic fits into a bar. The plastic needs to be horizontal but the link needs to be vertical.

Attachments

• choke link1.jpg
    choke link1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 77
   / John Deere E180 Two barrel carb choke linkage problem #6  
Ahhhh, yeah I'm not sure then.
But I'm sure there are a few people on this site that are familiar with that style carb setup and will be chiming in shortly

A video on youtube showed the setup. Thanks for the interest and the help!

/ John Deere E180 Two barrel carb choke linkage problem #8  
A video on youtube showed the setup. Thanks for the interest and the help!
Post up the link if you can, this thread might help someone else in the future

This shows pretty good. If you look at my picture you can see when I removed the carb I didn't realize how that link was installed and when it came out the plastic clip ended up on the shaft where it didn't belong, which is what confused me. I removed the clip and everything went together as I thought it should.