Oil & Fuel John Deere Fuel Tank Leak

/ John Deere Fuel Tank Leak #1  

deere5105

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD
Was recently discing a food plot for a friend and smelled diesel. Continued on with my discing as it was almost dark and couldn't see well anyway. When I loaded the tractor I noticed diesel was streaming out from under tractor. Got a flashlight and noticed there was a valve that appeared loose. I hand tightened it and it appeared to stop. Later at home I checked closer and it was a slow drip. I have since tried draining the diesel and adding teflon tape to the bolt. Yesterday I noticed it was still a little wet and I tightened up the hose clamp. Couldn't tell for sure, but it still appeared to be a little wet. The only other thing I can think of is to back out the bolt and drain the diesel again, put more teflon on the bolt, tighten the clamp as much as possible with the bolt not in and then replace the bolt. Anyone got any suggestions or ideas or had to deal with this before. This is a 22 gallon tank on 5105 John Deere. See attached picture for a visual of the bolt.

Attachments

• fuel drain valve.jpg
    fuel drain valve.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 895
   / John Deere Fuel Tank Leak #2  
I looked at the parts diagram for this at deere.com,click on parts and enter model of tractor. I am wondering if replacing the drain valve assembly itself will fix the problem. I have a 2004 5105 and have only opened it a couple of times to get crud out of the bottom of the tank when replacing the original fuel hoses that split and turned to mush after 2 years. I also had to replace the rubber grommet on top of the tank where the return line goes.

/ John Deere Fuel Tank Leak
I looked at the parts diagram for this at deere.com,click on parts and enter model of tractor. I am wondering if replacing the drain valve assembly itself will fix the problem. I have a 2004 5105 and have only opened it a couple of times to get crud out of the bottom of the tank when replacing the original fuel hoses that split and turned to mush after 2 years. I also had to replace the rubber grommet on top of the tank where the return line goes.

My 5105 is also a 2004. I am a little curious why it was loose to start with. Not sure if something is happening to the threads. I hate to start trying to patch something together and try globbing some type of material on the bolt and then run it in. The bolt doesn't appear to be damaged and is a one piece deal. Replacing it may be an option. May try the service department at the dealership and see what they say. I have very good luck with emailing them questions and getting responses in a day or two. One person told me to be careful to not overtighten the bolt due to it being in plastic threads. I too looked this up on JDParts site. I did this before removing it to make sure I wasn't about to get into more than I expected.

/ John Deere Fuel Tank Leak
I picked up a new valve and hose clamp and installed it a few days ago. After first installing it te leaking did not stop. I tightened and adjusted and got it to slow. Took a trip to look at another tractor like mine. I noticed it looked like I had tightened the valve too much and it was further in the tank. I went back and loosened mine to match the other tractor and tightened down very tightly on the hose clamp. After operating all weekend I am proud to say there is now no signs of leaking. Looks like I had just overtightened it trying to get the leak stopped. Hope this helps others if they encounter this issue.

/ John Deere Fuel Tank Leak #5  
Great news! I was hoping to look at mine this weekend, but we had 6 inches of rain last week and the floor of my tractor shed is a slippery muddy mess and I got sidetracked with other stuff. I did get the tractor out Saturday morning to load my old model 12 bush hog onto a trailer for aguy who bought it.

/ John Deere Fuel Tank Leak #6  
I know that picture very well. I have a JD 4700 and used the bleeder valve to remove sediment from my fuel tank.When I tried to close the valve I couldn't get it to stop leaking until I replaced the entire assembly. I might add its location was tough to get at with my tools. Annoying repair, sorry you went thru the same thing. Ken