John Deere Gator, Kubota, or ... for wet field UTV chores?

/ John Deere Gator, Kubota, or ... for wet field UTV chores? #1  

Sid Post

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 5711D, Kubota L4600, Kubota B2601
I am getting lost in the specs, prices, and options for a full-size UTV. A $25K model isn't really an option.

I have used my friend's cabbed Kubota RTV1100C a lot at my place and find it to be really heavy and low-slung. It also struggles a bit on the sloped ground in addition to sinking to the frame in a pasture I can easily walk.

I need a real UTILITY vehicle, not a toy for an ATV park. It seems the Diesel options now are priced competitively against good gasoline engines so, I was looking at the John Deere Gators. What I don't see is whose engine they use. I am a bit anti-Kubota at the moment but, I know the newer Kubota RTV1120's get strong recommendations from many people. Polaris is a bit of a mystery with my sister really being anti-Polaris ATV based on past experiences so, don't know if that is even relevant today. Club Car, the golf cart people, have a diesel UTV that seems reasonably nice with the Kubota D702 engine in the mid to upper teens (~$17K) in terms of cost I have looked at.

My property has some modest hills and slopes to cover. It has had feral hog activity so, there are 'hidden' holes in the pasture grass that I find occasionally. The soil is pretty sandy in some spots and is loose and wet in others which can cause heavy vehicles to sink. I would like more than ~25MPH in road gear on the county road but, can live with that. 4x4 mode will be used almost exclusively when not on the county road and turf "mode" is not a factor.

What do people recommend for usage like this with an open station UTV? Gator diesel? Kubota RTV diesel? Polaris Ranger 570? Something else?

Thanks!
Sid

p.s. Googling and hitting manufacturer websites is a bit of a mixed bag of good and bad with specs and pricing overload! 🙂

/ John Deere Gator, Kubota, or ... for wet field UTV chores? #2  
Kubota RTV 520 (Rough Terrain Vehicle) 2-passenger, gas engine, HST transmission.

Quieter, lighter and more nimble than Kubota diesel RTVs.

HST transmission will hold up to HARD field work.

/ John Deere Gator, Kubota, or ... for wet field UTV chores? #3  
I had a 1200 RTV that i bought from a friend .. It was just as you described.. Slow, heavy and struggled on hills...Not to mention.. ridiculous loud inside the cab. .. I honestly found it more aggravation than it was worth. Ended up selling it on CL and have never missed it since. If i were to do it all over again..I think I would look at a gas Deere or similar .

Last edited:
   / John Deere Gator, Kubota, or ... for wet field UTV chores?
With only 441lbs of payload in the bed, the Kubota RTV 520 won't really work for me since I occasionally carry an IBC which easily exceeds this weight.

/ John Deere Gator, Kubota, or ... for wet field UTV chores? #5  
The RTV is a work machine (I have X1100C). It isnt made for fun. I have friends up here in the mountains that have torn up Polaris and sporty "utility" vehicles with a bunch of plastic parts on them. They all want my machine for real work. So thats the trade off. The RTV diesel is pretty slow on hills. No work is getting done at 30 mph anyway...just tearing up the roads more so it doesnt bother me one bit.

My parents farm in East TX has a RTV 1140. Works great for them as well. If you need a machine for real work its a good choice.

My next choice would be Kubota Sidekick (basically gas version), and after that a Kawasaki Mule.

/ John Deere Gator, Kubota, or ... for wet field UTV chores? #6  
Some folks only use ATVs and UTVs for work. Personally I'd not buy or own a hydrostatic UTV.
defendertows259.jpg

/ John Deere Gator, Kubota, or ... for wet field UTV chores? #7  
I've got a 570 Ranger full size. I like it a lot for the price. I do wish it had power steering though. Whatever you get make sure you get good tires, not the balloony type ATV tires.

I've got a 570 Ranger full size. I like it a lot for the price. I do wish it had power steering though. Whatever you get make sure you get good tires, not the balloony type ATV tires.

For tires, I'm looking at the Predators which are heavy-duty All-Terrain tires. I don't want to 'float' in a water puddle either!

/ John Deere Gator, Kubota, or ... for wet field UTV chores? #9  
My comment was more aimed at puncture resistance. Mine came with those puffy, single ply, old school 4 wheeler tires. I immediately got flats and replaced them with takeoff wheels and tires from a Polaris XP unit. The Predators look like they would be good for that, but maybe not as great for sloppy mud if you get into any.

My comment was more aimed at puncture resistance. Mine came with those puffy, single ply, old school 4 wheeler tires. I immediately got flats and replaced them with takeoff wheels and tires from a Polaris XP unit. The Predators look like they would be good for that, but maybe not as great for sloppy mud if you get into any.

The Predators I'm looking at are 8-ply so, should stand up well to tire puncture issues. They also have much better wear resistance. While not the best for sloppy mud, they will work well on the rocky hill to my friend's place which tears up tractor tires.