John deere GT245 broke bolt in output shaft

/ John deere GT245 broke bolt in output shaft #1  

Jlelectric

Tractor
John Deere 4300; Bobcat T300; Bobcat 3400D
In the midst of cutting and the electric clutch flew off. The bolt is broke in the output shaft. I tried drilling with reverse bit but no luck. The bolt must be strong. Any ideas? Almost to the point of removing motor and do it from a bench instead of under mower.

Last edited:
   / John deere GT245 broke bolt in output shaft
How bad is the crankshaft replacement?

Last edited:
   / John deere GT245 broke bolt in output shaft #3  
That is weird. The bolt's only task is to hold the clutch on the shaft. Typically there would be no stress on the bolt. I am guessing that the bolt started to come loose from the crank and the clutch dropped down because of it and started putting bending forces on the bolt.

If your good, you should be able to drill a hole up into the bolt and then us a broken bolt extractor tool to remove it. Does any of the bolt extend past the end of the crank shaft? If so, you may try to use a vice grip pliers on it.

If you are able to drill a hole into the bolt, spray penetrating oil on it for several days in a row before you try to extract the bolt.

Good luck.

Richard

/ John deere GT245 broke bolt in output shaft #4  
Is this a John Deere/Briggs engine? I had the same thing happen on my GT 235 several years ago. I tried every trick I knew. I wound up removing the engine and turning it upside down in a drill press. After several broken drill bits, I was able to get a screw extractor to catch and back the broken bolt out. Yes, it is a harden bolt. I reassembled the engine and am still using the mower with no problems with the repair years later. I still have no idea why the bolt sheared.

/ John deere GT245 broke bolt in output shaft #5  
Most times I get these bolts out by tapping them with a real thin, sharp punch and turning them out. It seems like there are a couple every year anyways. If it had been thread locked, then you are stuck drilling. So needless to say, no thread lock on reassembly in case it reoccurs. It is actually more common than you think on Deere's. I think the torque is 50"#s.

/ John deere GT245 broke bolt in output shaft #6  
Most times I get these bolts out by tapping them with a real thin, sharp punch and turning them out.

Excellent advise. I have used that technique in the past.

Richard

/ John deere GT245 broke bolt in output shaft
It is the 20HP kawasaki motor. The bolt is recessed about 1/4". I have tapped/drilled, heated. No luck. Hard bolt.. I'm sure it has lock tight on it. May try to tackle it later. Put engine on bench upside down. If that won't work, will get a used crank shaft about $60. This mower is worth the time.

/ John deere GT245 broke bolt in output shaft #8  
Well that is bad news. Hope you find a way to get your machine going again.

Richard