John Deere Instrument Cluster 5410 issues

/ John Deere Instrument Cluster 5410 issues #1  

rackmaster2

Tractor
John Deere , 5410, John Deere 6125R, NH T4-75, TD75DA, workmaster 60, Case 345, Bobcat T300, Case 580K
I put a new cluster in at 800 hrs a few years back and now at 450 hrs this one is not working .

usually starts out as fuel gouge acts up first, then later the temp quits and finally the rpm/hr part quits.
( it does come on , on occasion)

Since these things cost an arm and a leg, and are common issues,
1- anyone have a suggestion on a repair place for existing unit, cost?
2- any aftermarket units ?

tractor is always shredded , don't really understand why these fail.

I plan to pull it off and check some grounds, but since they all didn't quit at once, my luck its always the most expensive option.
At $600 for them now, not sure Ill buy one.
I do like to keep up with my hrs for service schedule.

/ John Deere Instrument Cluster 5410 issues #2  
I have heard the solder connections for the connector pins can crack and need to be resoldered.
If you still have the old cluster, I would experiment on it.

/ John Deere Instrument Cluster 5410 issues #3  
I have a John Deere 5320 and the fuel gage and the run hour gage quit working. I sent the instrument cluster to a repair shop and the only thing they could repair was to replace the run hour meter with a new one. The sticker shock to replace the instrument cluster was more than I wanted to pay, so I had them replace the RHM. That cost me $150 bucks to replace and it is in same place in the cluster. I installed a fuel gage I purchased from Summit Racing (VDO Vision Series Analog Gauge 301-107) which takes care of the fuel level issue. Total cost of $200.00 took care of the two problems I had with gauges and in my case saved $550.00 to install a new instrument cluster.
In your case if you are mechanically savvy I would think you could replace the RHM yourself with a new one and cost less than $50.00. Good luck.

/ John Deere Instrument Cluster 5410 issues
I have a John Deere 5320 and the fuel gage and the run hour gage quit working. I sent the instrument cluster to a repair shop and the only thing they could repair was to replace the run hour meter with a new one. The sticker shock to replace the instrument cluster was more than I wanted to pay, so I had them replace the RHM. That cost me $150 bucks to replace and it is in same place in the cluster. I installed a fuel gage I purchased from Summit Racing (VDO Vision Series Analog Gauge 301-107) which takes care of the fuel level issue. Total cost of $200.00 took care of the two problems I had with gauges and in my case saved $550.00 to install a new instrument cluster.
In your case if you are mechanically savvy I would think you could replace the RHM yourself with a new one and cost less than $50.00. Good luck.
Which repair place did you send to, i looked up on this morning and they wanted $500 ,

I have heard the solder connections for the connector pins can crack and need to be resoldered.
If you still have the old cluster, I would experiment on it.
i saw that on another thread and printed it off, Ill be sure and check it out, thanks,

/ John Deere Instrument Cluster 5410 issues #6  
Which repair place did you send to, i looked up on this morning and they wanted $500 ,
I sent to AG
There is a place called AG Express Electronics that have locations in Iowa, Nebraska and Indiana. I sent mine to Indianapolis, Indiana. I was told that only thing they could do was replace the run hour meter on my instrument cluster. The fuel gauge was not repairable and would need new cluster unit to get fuel gauge to work. I decided to have them replace the RHM and I would take care of the fuel issue. Sound like they did not want to repair the cluster and that is reason they said unrepairable. Maybe their cost would be more than getting a new instrument cluster.. Larry

/ John Deere Instrument Cluster 5410 issues #7  
This was my solution. If I were doing it over I would choose different gauges. The needles on these are not visible in the dark with the lights on. Not a huge deal since I don't operate after dark often.

This is my solution on how not to fix one.
I used to build a few home brew deer cams , so I said what the heck.

I could not figure how to get the thing apart.
so I took it to chucks cb shop, took them a while but they figured it out.
I even did a video so others would know.
cut glass off cluster, there is a cover on front of cluster that hides the screws , carefully lift up corner and peel it off.

Now, its easy.3-4 screws .
the control board is covered in a clear glue or plastic, reason they are considered non repairable.
it has stepper motors that control each gauges.
I found them online for $25.(stepper motors) with same numbers mine had.
CB shop put it in for $5, yes you read that right . I gave him $10.

I was grinning like a mule eating saw briers when I reinstalled it,
Still didn't work.
smile disappeared. my utube video is useless and Im not going to save someone's cluster bill.

so I sent it to Ag Express, they were kind. ( I would recommend them)
called me back and it worked fine???.
cost me $100.
so now I'm $150 deep and still inoperable.

The teck suggested i look at the pins connectors, he had seen some that were not connecting good, send me a dia to figure out which one it was.
they looked good to me, still didnt work.

i got online and read where the mag pickup was, i wiggled all wires, even took it out and wiped it off.
Nothing.
i dont know how to do the ohms thing, just not my cup of tea.

I had another tractor with one , mag pickup, so I swapped it out,
should have done that on the front end,
rpm works now, hindsight is always 20-20

well, at least
I have lots of exp turning $50 jobs into $350 jobs , and 5 min jobs into 5 hr jobs, I can now add this to the resume.