John Deere planter - what do I have?

/ John Deere planter - what do I have? #1  

ToledoTractorBoy

Tractor
Ford 641
Purchased an old two-row John Deere planter over the weekend. Trying to figure out what I bought!

Was told it was a JD Model 290, even given the 290 Operator's Manual. But the machine wasn't what was pictured on the manual. Bought it anyway. Price was right...will work great for small plots...lots of seed plates...and seller threw in an old cultivator. However, would like to know what I have and possibly restore it to its former glory someday.

I'm wondering if I have a JD Model 999? 290 operator's manual shows two pneumatic tires; the only wheels on what I bought are the two large metal packing wheels. It has two seed hoppers, two safety fertilizer attachments, an operator's seat with a depth adjustment lever/control immediately in front of it and a couple of foot pedals for various other control functions. Appears somewhere along the line somebody cut the frame that I presume would have held a tongue and hitch. In it's place is now a red three-point hitch which is bolted to the frame. I'm not an expert but am fairly confident there isn't a John Deere piece around that has as much as even a single red bolt on it as original equipment!

Any special place on the machine I ought to be looking where a model number might be stamped, etc.? If what I have is indeed a Model 999 planter how do I determine which version? Appears there were several variations through the years? How rare and/or common are 999 planters? Was there any other type JD two-row planter before they came out with their four-row machine?

Any thoughts. comments or ideas are appreciated.

/ John Deere planter - what do I have? #2  
Picture,

sometimes the frame was the model part and the planters were used a number of different units, depending on age, some may have had steel wheels and some could have had Rubber tires,

Pictures most likely would help the most,

/ John Deere planter - what do I have?
Thanks. I'll get some pictures...

/ John Deere planter - what do I have? #4  
Dad had an early 490 that had steel wheels instead of rubber tires. I have the remains of a 290 that has rubber on it.