John Deere small tractors - best engine oil?

/ John Deere small tractors - best engine oil? #1  

tcweb

Tractor
JD 2305, Ford5000
Without buying oil at 2x the price at a dealer, what do most of you use for your small JD diesel tractors? I have a 2305 and an x745 mower.
Yanmar 24HP engines (as I recall).

We live in Missouri, summer mowing can be in the 90's, and the tractors get little use after November, so I don't worry about cold weather use.

Any 15W-40 OK? Synthetic? Non-synthetic?

Similar question for hydraulic fluid - Anything special to look for when not using the JD brand?

Thanks in advance,

-Tom

/ John Deere small tractors - best engine oil? #2  
Shell Rotella 5 W 40 full synthetic. I've been using Rotella in every diesel that I have owned or operated for 50 years, and if there is a better oil for diesels, I haven't found or heard of it. I'm sure that there are other good oils, but you can't go wrong with Rotella!

/ John Deere small tractors - best engine oil?
And does it matter what oil is in there now? A full oil and filter change, no worries about flushing out previous (possibly non synthetic?) oil? I assume tractors built in 2006 (ish) all use synthetic, so probably not an issue - just asking.

/ John Deere small tractors - best engine oil? #4  
What do your owner manuals say?

/ John Deere small tractors - best engine oil? #5  
I just finished changing the oil in my 3250 using Rotella T6 synthetic 15w-40. The owners manual says 15w-40 is good from 0 degrees F and up.
Oops 3520, I need to learn what model I have.

Last edited:
   / John Deere small tractors - best engine oil? #6  
Without buying oil at 2x the price at a dealer, what do most of you use for your small JD diesel tractors? I have a 2305 and an x745 mower.
Yanmar 24HP engines (as I recall).

We live in Missouri, summer mowing can be in the 90's, and the tractors get little use after November, so I don't worry about cold weather use.

Any 15W-40 OK? Synthetic? Non-synthetic?

Similar question for hydraulic fluid - Anything special to look for when not using the JD brand?

Thanks in advance,

-Tom
Give us the prices that are double at the Deere dealer.. I'd like to know what you compare to that is half the Deere price. Am interested...

/ John Deere small tractors - best engine oil? #7  
I use the Rotella synthetic for diesels. People say it's the best. How do I know that? I don't.

It would be nice to see some scientific data that proves one oil is better than another. There are a number of videos on youtube where people have run some tests on various oils. I have not checked them out yet, but will definitely have a look. I'll report back once I have done that, unless somebody else beats me to it.

It's like batteries. (yeah, I know this is off-topic, so if that bothers you, then stop reading now.) How do I know what alkaline battery lasts the longest? Duracell seems to have the best reputation, but are the dollar store alkalines that much worse than Duracell? Unless somebody spends the time to test them, it's just guesswork. Oh, look! Somebody ran some tests! I was really glad to see this:

/ John Deere small tractors - best engine oil? #8  
I just picked up Kirkland 15w 40w for my next oil change.

/ John Deere small tractors - best engine oil? #10  
I play it safe and buy what my dealer puts on the counter. Your 2305 and X745 take what, about 3 quarts?