John Deere Z920m, any comments?

/ John Deere Z920m, any comments? #1  

RTII

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota GL 3940, Kubota M5 111
Posted this in the John Deere section but didn't get much response. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Just demo'd a JD Z920m w/54" 7 iron deck here at my property. Varied terrain - flat, slopes, trees, different grasses, etc. About as varied as terrain can get on the 4 acres around a house. I was pretty impressed with the mower and wanted any real world pro's and cons from those who might have an opinion. Pretty pricey machine for a mower but I'm looking for longevity and reliability to go along with the performance. If I decide on the Deere, I'm also considering the Z925m which is basically the same mower but with fuel injection.

I'm completely new to zero turns (and Deere) so I'll appreciate any thoughts y'all might share on this machine, comparable options or z-turns in general..........

Thanks again.

/ John Deere Z920m, any comments? #2  
Posted this in the John Deere section but didn't get much response. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Just demo'd a JD Z920m w/54" 7 iron deck here at my property. Varied terrain - flat, slopes, trees, different grasses, etc. About as varied as terrain can get on the 4 acres around a house. I was pretty impressed with the mower and wanted any real world pro's and cons from those who might have an opinion. Pretty pricey machine for a mower but I'm looking for longevity and reliability to go along with the performance. If I decide on the Deere, I'm also considering the Z925m which is basically the same mower but with fuel injection.

I'm completely new to zero turns (and Deere) so I'll appreciate any thoughts y'all might share on this machine, comparable options or z-turns in general..........

Thanks again.

RTII,
John Deere's "online pricing" for ZTR's is Residential only up to the Z665 model. I can't give you some comparable ZTR's to consider without detailed specs and princing so you will have apples-to-apples. How do you get specs & pricing online for the Z920m & Z925m??? Or is just the fact that you will only get a price by going to a dealer indicative of the $$$ we are talking about for these models?

/ John Deere Z920m, any comments?
I couldn't find pricing on line either. Went by the dealer to check them out. Mainly wanted to drive one to get a feel with how they would work on my property. The out the door price was quoted right at 8K (8.25% tax included) with out any attempt to bargain down some yet. The Z 920 is in their commercial quality line up.

/ John Deere Z920m, any comments? #4  
I couldn't find pricing on line either. Went by the dealer to check them out. Mainly wanted to drive one to get a feel with how they would work on my property. The out the door price was quoted right at 8K (8.25% tax included) with out any attempt to bargain down some yet. The Z 920 is in their commercial quality line up.

RTII,
Well, if your budget is OK with an expenditure of $8K I can recommend several other ZTR's(Commercials) that you may want to visit a nearby dealer(if there is one) to compare to those John Deere ZTR's. I cannot find the online pricing for all of these but I believe they are in the same ball park pricing. I looked at several of these brands last fall(2012 models) and had a maximum $7K budget so I'm pretty certain on a few of them:
1)Gravely Pro-Turn 200XDZ(52" MSRP $8,599) or Pro-Turn 100XDZ(52" MSRP $7,499-My 2012 was $7,199)
2)Toro Z-Master 3000 Series or 5000 Series(52" MSRP $????, but S/B around $8K)
3)Dixon DX200(54" MSRP $8,299)
4)Hustler X-One(54" MSRP $????, but S/B around $8K)
5)Cub Cadet LZ60 Tank(60" MSRP $7,999)

There are MANY more good quality Commercial Grade ZTR's out there, but the ones above will let you compare the engines, trannies, deck build/gauge and other important specs and features to the JD's. When I looked at the John Deere's I told the salesman that I was looking for a 52"-54" for $6k-$7K and he showed me the Z655 Residential which for that money($6,149 plus tax....with a stamped deck) wasn't even in the same class as my Gravely Pro-Turn 100XDZ 52" that I got for $6,800 out-the-door. The salesman tried to tell me that JD research had proven that the shape of a stamped deck gave better cut quality than a welded fabricated deck.......right, that Z920 for $8K has a stamped deck, right:0)
Good luck and I hope you find the ZTR that's just right for you!!!!

/ John Deere Z920m, any comments?
djdicetn,

Thanks for that info. I'm in a holding pattern for a couple of weeks due to work constraints but will definitely look at some of those you've listed before I make the purchase. Glad to have those prices as a base line as well.