Jon Boat motor

/ Jon Boat motor #1  

paulsharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
Got an old 12-32 Aluminum jon boat, 12 ft long x 32 inch at bottom, that I picked up for free. Turns out getting title is more money and effort then it's worth, so rather then throw good money after bad, I'm considering picking up a 1436 or possible 1542 Aluminum jon boat. My plan for the original was a 4 hp Suzuki outboard. Seems like the internet says between 6 and maybe 10 mph, with the 4 hp and 1 guy with gear.
Question 1, is that realistic? I'm not wanting to run with the 150hp bass boats, but I don't want something that won't push a boat
Question 2, if I go with a 1436, can I get by with a 4 or 6, or do I need to go to a 9.9hp? For use on small to mid sized lakes (20 acres upto maybe 1000 acres) and some slow running rivers.
I have been on/off thinking of getting the HangKai 6.5hp 4 stroke for around $900; versus the Suzuki for $1800. Not sure yet. I've had to drop by boat motor money on a new roof, so I may be a few months before I do anything.

Last edited:
   / Jon Boat motor #2  
Having used jon boats on Red River between Ok and Tx for many years,here's what I can tell you. For stability while standing,less than 14' will tip over regardless of width. 9 to 15 hp is perfect for jons this size but I've made do with as little as 4 hp and 3 men weighing 200+ each. Big water (farther from land than you can swim) is no place for jon boats. Adjusting engine angle is required for any boat for peak performance but is especially critical for jon boats.

/ Jon Boat motor #3  
I don't know, but 9.9 seems very popular on Jon boats. See them all the time for years.

/ Jon Boat motor #4  
I don't know, but 9.9 seems very popular on Jon boats. See them all the time for years.
Yes they are. The reason is because many lakes limit horse power to 10 or less.

/ Jon Boat motor #5  
A jaxs said 9.9 is the limit on many lakes and revivors which raises the price of them. I bought an older 20 hp for half the price of a 9.9. That gave my 14' semi v a real giddy up.🍻

/ Jon Boat motor #6  
If you keep the boat on a trailer,always have access to loading ramp and don't need to use it on town lakes and state park lakes there's a lot to be said for a semi-vee and larger motor. Added stability and will take rougher water than a jon. On the other hand if you get on streams and rivers like the Red where you have to drag boat accross shallows a jon and lite weight engine is the ticket.

/ Jon Boat motor #7  
I know regs are state specific but the popularity of the 9.9 back in the day was, at least in SC, because anything over a 10 HP had to be registered and titled. Now everything has to be so most Jon boats nowadays run larger motors.

/ Jon Boat motor #8  
Got an old 12-32 Aluminum jon boat, 12 ft long x 32 inch at bottom, that I picked up for free. Turns out getting title is more money and effort then it's worth, so rather then throw good money after bad, I'm considering picking up a 1436 or possible 1542 Aluminum jon boat. My plan for the original was a 4 hp Suzuki outboard. Seems like the internet says between 6 and maybe 10 mph, with the 4 hp and 1 guy with gear.
Question 1, is that realistic? I'm not wanting to run with the 150hp bass boats, but I don't want something that won't push a boat
Question 2, if I go with a 1436, can I get by with a 4 or 6, or do I need to go to a 9.9hp? For use on small to mid sized lakes (20 acres upto maybe 1000 acres) and some slow running rivers.
I have been on/off thinking of getting the HangKai 6.5hp 4 stroke for around $900; versus the Suzuki for $1800. Not sure yet. I've had to drop by boat motor money on a new roof, so I may be a few months before I do anything.
Here in Ohio anything under 14' doesn't need a title. That's why a lot of boats are 13'9'' like my Sea Nymph.

Jeff

/ Jon Boat motor #9  
My 14-48 semi-V jon boat has a 15hp, which pushes it great. All boats have a rating sticker, with max load and HP (mine says max HP is 25).

Get an electric start, if you can.

/ Jon Boat motor
Well, I guess I'll drop an update. I quit boat shopping, wife's uncle died without a will, no kids, 1 sister, 1 brother, and a long term live in girlfriend. My MIL "gave" us his Carolina Skiff J15 15 ft flats boat with a 25hp Etec Evinrud. Currently it's not mine or wifes; it's still dead uncle in laws; as it seems things are dragging out in escrow. Nothing brings the hate, pick pockets, and greed out like a family member dying...

Boat was in Salt water it's whole life; needs water pump, trim motor, battery, and maybe starter. Aluminum trailer needs leaf springs. Told wife, I would love to end up with the boat, But I'm not spending a dime until I have a title for the boat, so its sitting in the yard.