Just bought an 8N, what are first steps to getting it running well?

/ Just bought an 8N, what are first steps to getting it running well? #1  

RenoHuskerDu

Tractor
WannaOwnOneSoon
Won't run well since moving from 8000' altitude to 1000' here in Central Texas. In fact it won't even crank now due to dead battery. And it's still 6v, so my first step is to order up a 12v conversion kit. I'm not about to pay good money for a 6v battery.

Is this the serial number? 8N 4024

What do y'all recommend for a 12v conversion kit? I spotted this one but my small engine guy thinks it is spendy:
Ford 8N 12 Volt Conversion Kit, Front Mount Distributor

What would you recommend as the next mods to do? The carb looks new but given the symptoms the seller described, I suspect that it's at fault. Spitting back, rough running, trouble starting. Of course I remember what my HS Auto Shop teacher said in the 60s:
"If it's not running well, check the ignition system. That will solve 90% of your problems. For the other 10%, check the ignition system."

Attachments

• WelcomeSmall.jpg
    WelcomeSmall.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
  • SerialNumberMaybeCrop.jpg
    SerialNumberMaybeCrop.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
   / Just bought an 8N, what are first steps to getting it running well? #2  
We used to put 8v batteries on all our 6v systems. It made them much more reliable and no conversion kit needed.

/ Just bought an 8N, what are first steps to getting it running well?
Yes my small engine guy mentioned that too. But what about bulbs? Seems 6v headlight bulbs would not last long on 8v

/ Just bought an 8N, what are first steps to getting it running well? #4  
I ran them for 15 years in my 53 Ford truck at night and never replaced light. We never had issues with the tractors either but rarely needed the lights on them.

/ Just bought an 8N, what are first steps to getting it running well? #5  
Won't run well since moving from 8000' altitude to 1000' here in Central Texas. In fact it won't even crank now due to dead battery. And it's still 6v, so my first step is to order up a 12v conversion kit. I'm not about to pay good money for a 6v battery.

What do y'all recommend for a 12v conversion kit? I spotted this one but my small engine guy thinks it is spendy:
Ford 8N 12 Volt Conversion Kit, Front Mount Distributor

What would you recommend as the next mods to do? The carb looks new but given the symptoms the seller described, I suspect that it's at fault. Spitting back, rough running, trouble starting. Of course I remember what my HS Auto Shop teacher said in the 60s:
"If it's not running well, check the ignition system. That will solve 90% of your problems. For the other 10%, check the ignition system."
TSC sells 6V batteries every day of the week....for about $100....a bit less than 12V cost.
The conversion kit you reference states: for "front mount Distributor".
My 1951 late model 8N, has a side mount distributor.

I added a Petronix CD ignition kit, and do recommend it.
I have had my 1951 6V 8N for 49 years, with only 4 (?) different batteries. (I do use a battery "maintainer")
No problems with 6V at all!

Last edited:
   / Just bought an 8N, what are first steps to getting it running well? #6  
You probably have more humidity where you are now. Yes, check cap/rotor/wires/points. I have heard that some crappy condensers have been sold in kits too.

/ Just bought an 8N, what are first steps to getting it running well?
   / Just bought an 8N, what are first steps to getting it running well? #9  

That is not the serial number, the serial number is hand stamped on a flat place on the back left corner of the block. They can sometimes be hard to impossible to read. Use a wire brush (brass) on a dermel works good for cleaning off the numbers often making them easier to read.